One ping for Tiger re. 190E power window switch and trans selector light replacement

Hello Tiger,
Sometime back you provided some info and the procedure for getting into the console to replace the trans selector light. Unfortunately I lost this info
during my last PC upgrade. The light had been out for some time and was not a priority. The power window switch is now acting up and I might as well fix both at the same time. The service manual is not very clear on how to remove the shift cover panel other than insertion of a plastic tool to pry it up and then to pull back on it. I assume they are talking about the wood trim panel where all the switches are mounted. There also is a shift gate insert that I suspect also has to be removed. Does this item just get pried out? I am reluctant to get ham fisted here and damage the wood panel. Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Peter
The wood trim is removed with a plastic wedge or a cloth wrapped large screwdriver. It is secured to the center console with plastic clips around the perimeter and due to age, it's easy to break a clip, so go slowly.
It's a good idea to unplug the switches as you lift the trim to gain more access as to work towards the front of the trim. The gear selector plate is screwed down, but you don't have to remove it to replace the bulb. The bulb that illuminates the shift selector is at the very top of the shift selector.
than being the results of chance (or of God's will, or whatever); and whatever may be left of wild nature will be reduced to remnants preserved for scientific study and kept under the supervision and management of scientists (hence it will no longer be truly wild). In the long run (say a few centuries from now) it is it is likely that neither the human race nor any other important organisms will exist as we know them today, because once you start modifying organisms through genetic engineering there is no reason to stop at any particular point, so that the modifications will probably continue until man and other organisms have been utterly transformed. 178. Whatever else may be the case, it is certain that technology is creating for human begins a new physical and social environment radically different from the spectrum of environments to which natural selection has adapted the human race physically and psychological. If man is not adjust to this new environment by being artificially re-engineered, then he will be adapted to it through a long an painful process of natural selection. The former is far more likely that the latter. 179. It would be better to dump the whole stinking system and take the consequences.
The light bulb for the gear selector is not located by the shifter. It is located by the A/C pushbuttons. If you got lights from both side of the pushbuttons, then it is most likely that you got a kinked fiber optic that leads down to the shifter.
It will depend on what model year the car is, a bulb was used in the shifter area early years, while later models have the fiber optic. All years in North America used the fiber optic for the center console climate control.

My old 84 190E was fiber optic.
Interesting, since the '84 AMG I had earlier this year and my '85 2.3 both had bulbs mounted at the top of the shifter console opening.