Ongoing 300D Diesel Engine Saga

The latest development in the ongoing saga of my engine rebuild is that the shop finally determined that there was a failure within the fuel injector pump that was causing the low power output. The
technician replaced the part, but then couldn't get the engine started. He said the injector kept going out of correct timing. Today, he finally was able to get the engine started. He said that the engine ran and idled fine and developed normal power. But now there is so much black exhaust smoke as to create a total obscuration in the area around the car. The mechanic says he does not know what is causing this. Frankly, neither do I.
OMG! It is really disappointing the way it is going. Black smoke means the diesel injection timing is off... There is no way you get normal power with such amount of black smoke.
Like I said before, they did the work and they messed up and it is their responsibility to get it right for you without charging you more money. If they keep charging you more money when is it going to end? Are you willing to pay them extra $5000 to get the car to run right? You see my exxagarated point of view?
Diesel engine is not that complicated.

I completely agree with you, and to another poster who said it's time for a change of shop.
But I believe that every shop customer who encounters a situation like this has the same dilemma: If you pull the car out of that shop, after paying $5K, and take it to another shop, you then have to pay that mechanic to fix the problem. So the tendancy is to "dance with the one that brung ya" and stick it out--at least that is what I have been doing. At this point, I would like to get my money back but doubt there is that possibility.
The technician claims that he can't keep the injector timing fixed. I have never heard of this problem before. He already stated that he replaced a part in the injector that maintains injector timing. As injector mechanics are not my forte, I am at a loss to understand the problem.
Stick with the shop and have them fix it all the way without extra fee... Tell them to find a spare injection pump that they got laying around and put it in so you guys can conclude the business.
Otherwise, tell them to send it to another shop and have it repaired at their dime. You didn't have that problem when you brought the car in so it is not your fault.
If at an impasse... get the state consumer protection involved.... that will put the heat on them.

That's what I am trying to do, and will stay with them as long as it seems reasonable, but after several months of waiting, my patience is wearing thin. I will suggest that they change out the injector pump, which at the very least would confirm the theory of the problem, but of course, I certainly don't want to pay for a new one.

That's what I am trying to do, and will stay with them as long as it seems reasonable, but after several months of waiting, my patience is wearing thin. I will suggest that they change out the injector pump, which at the very least would confirm the theory of the problem, but of course, I certainly don't want to pay for a new one.

You need to change........the MECHANIC.
Eric Shune ha scritto:

Quote. And get ALL the money back!

.
I would take the car to another shop that is qualified and knows what they are doing. Then sue the first shop in small claims court for whatever it takes to make it right. Under the law, generally you do have an obligation to let the company who initially fixed it try to make it right. But after several attempts, when they have demonstrated they don't know what they are doing, you are free to take it elsewhere, get fixed and have them pay for it.
On Sep 16, 10:07am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Yes, in the worst case scenario, I will change. Unfortunately, in my area, the choices are few, and the next step would actually be the Mercedes-Benz dealer, which we all know is the highest-priced solution.

Yes, in the worst case scenario, I will change. Unfortunately, in my area, the choices are few, and the next step would actually be the Mercedes-Benz dealer, which we all know is the highest-priced solution.
but they will have to pay the bill...
Which state are you in Randall?

WA
randallbrink wrote:

Did you try GP Automotive in Everett?

Or Bellevue Motor Works in Bellevue-ask for Al. Very near the BMW dealership on Northup Way.
I had my 3000 diesel remanufactured with new sleeves and pistons, new injection pump and rebuilt turbo for $5400 at Metric Motors. But you have to remove and replace the engine yourself.
http://www.mercedesengines.net /
I lived in Seattle before moving to California where I live now. I asked a friend of mine who is a pro mechanic who specializes in Volkswagen diesels where he would take a 3000 Benz diesel to be rebuilt in Seattle and his answer is:
Tell him to take it to Autosport Seattle on Westlake Ave. Downtown. They do all the work for Barrier Motors. They do a lot of Foreign and Exotic and high end Hot Rods in the area.
That's who I use and they're very good.