Opinion sought

Page 2 of 5

135K KM for a well maintained benz is just broken in.
Where can you find an old benz with such low kilometers?
We have six of these old benzes, 1966-1991 and maintenance, out of all the cars my family has had, the benzes are the cheapest. Period.
cp
Tiger wrote:

I bought the 2002 E-320 from a dealer in Spokane, WA. They provided a CarFax on the car. Even if your seller doesn't offer one you can get one free CarFax report from: http://tinyurl.com/o8uck
I bought one after 50 years of wondering should I or not. I guess I did the right thing, this 2002 is the epitimy of design and reliability as far as I'm concerned.
PLUS, MB's warrantee and road service is the best I've ever heard of.
James
Tiger wrote:

Thanks for the help The best car for me would be the wagon though these seem to be very scarce. At this point it is between a 1997 Toyota Rav4, and a 1991 Mercedes 300D. Or something else???
I wish I could source a MB 300TD wagon here in Vancouver (with moderately low Km.
I have a 2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4 TRD offroad for my other vehicle so if the MB went to the shop there would be a substitute.
Was the W124 available in Canada?
The 1991 300D is a W124.
--

"smoked salmon" <"Noemail"@forme.org> wrote in message
Yes, W124 was available in Canada. Just keep looking until you found one. I don't know the consequences of bringing US car into Canada.

If the car is more than (I believe but not totally sure) 20 years old then you just drive it across the border more or less.
cheers
ps it may be 25 years old
Guenter Scholz wrote:

I *thought* I saw the reference here before, and googled. Here it is from Richard Sexton's site:
http://buying.articles.mbz.org/importing /
15 years. Which is just about right for a 1990-1991 W124 :-)
IMO, plenty of nice 300D (not wagons?) to be found in the US too.
Cheers, WS
--
change to leews to mail

Whoops,
Don't forget to read the other links too:
http://buying.articles.mbz.org/checklists/124 /
WS
ws wrote:

--
change to leews to mail

Get someone to pick up a diesel w124 for you from Germany =) less than 120K KM
http://tinyurl.com/zfx8l
cp
cp wrote:

There are a few places in Holland (Budgetbenz, Nijkamp mercedes) that specialize in finding older low km MB's in Germany. They're not cheap, but the cars are good.
I got a 250D there (2.5 liter 5 cylinder diesel).
From this group I often get the impression that the 300D sold in the US is a 5 cylinder 2.5 liter diesel. In Europe, the 300D is a 6 cylinder 3 liter diesel. Is that the correct impression? I wonder why they did that. Is the 300SD a 2.5 liter as well?
Ximinez

Yeah, my dad bought a w124 200D from Holland. It's funny, but that tank and 2L 4cyl diesel engine are not too bad on the mountain highways here in BC. And it takes less than 6L/100km

Some of the 300D were indeed 2.5 Turbo diesel, others 3L, at least here in Canada. We had a 1990 3L 300TD, very nice.

No. 300SD was w126 with om617 Then there were the 300SDL and 350SDL w126's
cp
cp wrote:

Well the 200D is a bit too relaxed for my tastes even though there's not a hill around.
The 250D is not a fast car either, but combined with the automatic gearbox (which is rare in Holland) it makes for a very relaxing ride, especially in heavy traffic (whih is not rare in Holland). My GF has a 190E 2.0 and I find myself driving much too fast in it in comparison. Probably to compensate for the ole 250D I try to overtake everyone ;)
Ximinez
Oh, come on, there's 300 m near Maastricht... Or is that 100 m?
BTW, I drove my 200D for two years mainly around Schleswig-Holstein, with a topography similar to that of NL. I was very happy, but those colleagues (many also with company 200Ds) who had to drive longer distances around all of Germany or mountainous Bavaria were less pleased...
DAS
"The Spanish Inquisition" < snipped-for-privacy@myown.mailcan.com> wrote in message
news:44892965$0$31646$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xsall.nl...
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Lame whiners! ;-)
Fill the other 4 passenger seats with men, fill the 500 litre trunk completely and tow a your 1500 kg caravan - THEN you can complain about power in a 55 PS 200D!
Juergen - W123 200D AMG aka 240D...
BTW: Schleswig-Holstein, country between the seas, very nice!

the w123 200D had the same engine (2.4L) as the 240D in North America?
cp
cp wrote:

No, that was a joke about the increased ahem... power ;-) of the 240D compared to the 200D.
200D had the OM 615.940 engine, bore x stroke 87,0 x 83,6 mm, 1988 ccm (German tax formula = 1971), 02/1976 - 01/1978 55 PS, 02/1978 - 04/1985 60 PS, sedan only
240D had the OM 616.912 engine, bore x stroke 91,0 x 92,4 mm 02/1976 - 07/1978 = 2404 ccm (German tax formula = 2376), from 08/1978 - 11/1985 = bore x stroke 90,9 x 92,4 mm 2399 ccm (German tax formula = 2350 ccm), sedan.
Also sedan LWB and T-model were available, last 240TD built 01/1986.
T-model serial production started 05/1978, so no 65 PS 240TD.
All above data for European cars.
Juergen
Indeed. Living in Hamburg was very nice.
BTW, my 200D has the new engine with 60 PS... MUCH better than 55...
DAS
"Juergen ." < snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com...
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Oh, you lived in Hamburg then??

Yes, it surely sounds strange to most people, but the power increase indeed clearly was noticeable: Even in the old days one needed every single of these 55 PS often - and so this 10 per cent (ok, it's 9,1 per cent only...) increase WAS noticeable.
When I later changed to a 72 PS 240D the 20 per cent power increase was incredible - it was really fast (ok, in comparison only)!
300D with 80 PS with its 11 per cent power increase was not very noticeable compared to 240D - but the 5-cylinder sound was a dream, worlds apart from the 4-cyl sounds (and back then I could differentiate 200D, 220D and 240D by their idle sound).
But of course in today's world these cars are very slow to extremely slow and whenever someone asks in the 240D about the acceleration it's great to see their reaction when I tell them 0-100 km/h is 24.7 secs... ;-)))
Juergen
As you may remember from my previous posts about this vehicle, I don't bother with precise acceleration figures (even if every digit after the decimal counts...).
0 - 100 in a week is adequate description...
Yes, lived in HH for >2 years. Was tempted to take up the offer to stay longer but I returned to London. I had previously lived in Brussels for 7.5 months, moving to Hamburg after a break of three months or so. A great three years, then. Nice (tiny) apartments (penthouse with big terrace in BXL, fantastic view 'into' horizon and onto a canal of the Aussenalster with ducks and the occasional swan sliding by), new Merc 200D in HH...
DAS

Enough for me alright =)

Now what about a w210 with a 5spd 2.5 turbo diesel? whooooooo! =)
cp