Opinion sought

Page 3 of 5
cp wrote:

Export model for Italy only, always 5 speed manual trans, no auto.
110 kw = 150 PS, 280 Nm @1800-3600 revs
Sedan 206 km/h (128 mph), 10,4 s 0-100 km/h (62.1 mph)
T-Model 203 km/h (126 mph), 11,3 s 0-100 km/h (62.1 mph)
Juergen
oooooooops I mean w201 =)
cp

Oh, W201 - was always a rare thing here in Germany due to the high price:
190D 75 PS DM 36.822 190D 2.5 94 PS DM 42.807 190D 2.5 Turbo 126 PS DM 48.165 That is a third more for the Turbo compared to the 190D!
Prices for German spec base models in Deutsche Mark; a W124 200D started at DM 43.890, a W140 300SE at DM 87.894
Juergen
The Spanish Inquisition wrote:

That's marketing, pure marketing.
There was the 250D (and 250D Turbo), 2,5 L 5-cyl engines. And the 300D (and 300D Turbo), 3 L 6-cyl engines (and the 200D, 2 L 4-cyl engine).
In some markets like the US the 250D Turbo was marketed as 300D 2.5 Turbo - a try to give the car more prestige as "300D" was well known from the /8 (which here in Europe was marketed as "240D 3.0") and W123, also as these two series never had a 2,5 L diesel engine.
Juergen
Juergen . wrote:

Thanks for clarifying that.
Ximinez
cp wrote:

Yes those look nice and exactly what I am looking for... I wonder how I would get one or two shipped?
At that price? Wow... call em up and ask how much $$$... not how because anything is possible.

Yeah, you should see the beautiful 1990 w201 200D my father brought for my sister. 120K for 2500EU, with shipping and taxes cost around 7500CAD, which is more than worth it.
cp
190D
---------------------
cp wrote:

Yes, I mean 190D, the 200D is the w124, same engines
cp

cp wrote:

Astonishing engines, seem to last forever, some even good for 1 million km with no revisions in Taxis here.
Compared to them the newer CDI engines ar c***.
Juergen

Juergen, what are you doing up so late? Go to sleep! =)
Yeah, I talk with taxi drivers every time I'm in Germany and they praise these engines. We're definitely happy with the two we have.
BTW, what do you think of the CDI, apart from the other ones of course =)
cp
Hi cp,
cp wrote:

Local time is ca. 1:35 a.m. Sunday morning, Saturday was the first real warm day and I will soon get out, free the ole 240D from the garage and do some night-time photography.

Astonishing power, _very_ fuel efficient.
What I do not like is the loud outside noise when cold (which is even worse with VW TDIs), and if anything fails it can get costly, much electronics.
Also for professional use like taxis I'm not fully convinced about the longevity, but for private use 300.000 or more km without major problems should be fine.
Juergen

Yeah, 1:35am in Hamburg is when the life starts, especially near the ports =)

Night time photography, a lot of fun. Amazing the pictures that can be taken.

Impossible to run them without electronics?

300K, that's not much. My, how the mighty have fallen. Perhaps the electronics wear out.
cp
cp wrote:

Yes, it's fun, my sturdiest tripod for the cameras lives in the 240D trunk, my preferred car for such activities. What's particularly interesting in night photography is that you have the ability to _collect_ light with long shutter speeds and the results are often very different to the scene you saw with your eyes (although with my DSLRs the surprise effect of the days of film is gone).
(CDI engines)

They have an emergency mode so you can (slowly) drive to the dealer.

I don't say there's no CDI engines with more than 300K, but it's (IMHO only of course) remarkable that many used taxis are sold with 2xxk - I remember that being different with older models without CDI engines (often 500k or more).
But I think it's logical, with a - say - W211 E220CDI the 170 PS from the displacement of 2148 ccm _do_ come at a price: Added load on the engine and several components (also additional components like turbos and intercoolers add to complexity) do have an influence in the long run, there's (literally) no free lunch.
Also think about diesel fuel and it's quality: Nowadays the engines require a good quality, in old engines like the pre-chamber OM 616 etc. you can put in low-quality diesel, for winter operation you can even add petroleum, that'as stated in the manual - don't ever try that with a CDI!!
So, YES, CDIs are powerful and they are fuel efficient, but...
Juergen (getting older day by day)

the newer cdi engines work just fine and will blow the doors off of any older diesel, and most gas cars too
jdoe wrote:

Yes, of course they do - but I'm talking about things like durability, longevity and reliability.
Juergen

so far it;s been reliable, durable and time will tell about longevity

Shipping is simple. My dad shipped 6 of these diesels (including a beautiful 5spd turbo diesel "Westfalia" VW) to tacoma washington. Cars are around 800USD. You're in Vancouver, right? To import a car into Canada from outside the US it must be 15 years old. To import a car into the US from outside it must be 25 years old unless you got a lot of money and connections, which wouldn't make any sense anyways =)
The two sites kfzmarkt.de and mobile.de are more than enough. That's how my father shops. Once he won't straight off the plane and picked one up. It's definitely worth if you're into these cars.
cp
cp wrote:

could fly over there and pick up a couple to ship back. Would be fun. :) and I could fund my trip with the proceeds of the sale.