Opinion sought

Page 4 of 5

You ship them from Bremerhaven, a number of choices there

If you speak German and are knowleadgeable about these cars then it is definitely worth it. It's harder now that many cars are going to eastern Europe, though those are usually the cheaper ones. For 4000EU+ you can find a really nice car.
Now if you're not familiar with Europe or the languages then it will be hard.
cp
cp wrote:

Interesting, thank you for all the information.., I took German in high school and university though that was a long time ago now. And I suspect I would alway be asking "bitte sprechen etwas langsamer". So I guess I will restrict my search to Canadian cars. It would be nice to source a 15 year old low Km wagon though. I have an auto broker acquaintance looking for one for me and he keeps trying to sell me a Subaru since he can't find any.
he stated the following:
"All pretty well had the same response. Parts are very expensive and you will have to find a good diesel mechanic. Because Mercedes stopped shipping diesel models to North America over 15 years ago and even before that not many diesels were sold, makes it very difficult to get even used parts. They all suggest Subaru, Volvo, or small SUV'S like Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4"
He may have a point? any comments on parts availability in North America?
smoked salmon wrote:

I have and independent mechanic in Savannah, Georgia and he uses only German parts. He has no problem finding anything for my 23 yr old "Big Blue". The folks in Atlanta have no problem finding parts. I think you are hearing the scales being tipped to get something the seller wants to sell you. Afterall, the internet is world-wide and according to the UPS guys, they ship around the world. So if Germany has the parts,...there ya go.
Just my $.02 worth. BTW I had that same story told to me by a guy who wanted to sell me a car. Sorry, I didn't buy it then and I don't now. Of course that is with the understanding that some vehicles do have parts that are difficult to locate, but that applies to other than MB's too.
Helen wrote: <snip>

Yes I suspected he was trying to sell me something he could easily get rather than do the legwork. I wonder why there are so few diesel cars for North America. I have had a couple Diesel Landcruisers now and love them thought there is now nothing relatively recent except for VW (which I loathe).
smoked salmon wrote:

Years ago I owned a Scriocco, VW. I really liked it, especially for the gas mileage. It's the ONLY formerly owned car I wish I had now. Granted it doesn't provide the comfort of a Benz, but then again it wasn't intend to. I do wish I had THAT car back. :( Sorry it's gone.

That'd be enough =)
Make it a vacation, it'd be fun.

You mechanic/friend has no clue as to what he's talking about. We have six of these cars in our family so I do know what I'm talking about.
cp
cp wrote:

I agree it would be fun (even if I come back empty handed it would be fun! (I hear German beer is nice)) + I have enough flight points to go to Germany 7 times :).
Do you know what paperwork is required on the German Side to make importation smooth? Or a link to this info?
Where are all the diesels? why are these not more common and why can't I get newer ones here in Canada?
Cheers
Probably because the manufacturers don't want to make old-technology engines to suit the sulfurous and varied fuel in NA?
Should change when clean fuel becomes available across NA - that's quite soon, isn't it?
DAS
"smoked salmon" <"Noemail"@forme.org> wrote in message
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Yes I think the low Sulfur diesel deadline is 2007 or 2008 - Though presumably engines meeting the required specs could be built now?
Apparently MB is bringing a Diesel M, and R class to Canada later this year for the 2007 model year. (They currently have the E320 CDi and the Smart fortwo CDi for sale in Canada) I can't afford a new E320Cdi unfortunately.
I think I will try to source a 15 year old 300TD 6cyl from EU.
smoked salmon wrote:

There's a 1991 300D (3.0 liter, 6 cyl non turbo) for sale at http://www.nijkamp-klassiekers.nl (Click Voorraad for the list of cars). Only 40.000 km, for a whopping 12500 EURO's.
This place has a good reputation. They seek out well preserved low mileage cars from Germany to sell on the Dutch market.
Ximinez
cp wrote:

The second-one from top (1699 EUR) was a former taxi - so it`s 40.000 to 150.000 km a year, the former for one-driver operation, more-driver operation typically is around 120.000 km.
So it's VERY clear that car has _at least_ half a million kms, maybe more than 1 million, it`s 17 years old! That's what's behind "Kilometerstand nicht nachweisbar" (mileage not approved).
And with the red 250TD is stated: "Tacho ist schon gewechselt worden gesamtlaufleistung ca 250 Tkm" (odometer has been replaced, total mileage ca 250.000 km) means it could also be 500.000 km - or more!
Juergen
"Juergen ." wrote:
Arrrrgl - one mistake after the other... ===:-((((
Of course it should be "multi-driver operation"
Juergen
Ahh! So that is why it is so cheap...

No, those were just some quick examples. We've definitely brought over good cars in that price range, though now it's harder as most of them go to eastern Europe.
cp
Yes, lots of, also to Africa and Arabia.
cp wrote:

Terrible!
"Nicht nachweisbar" means "not provable".
DAS
"Juergen ." < snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com...
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Ok - I stand corrected!
Juergen
No big deal but I thought the difference was significant in your context.
DAS
"Juergen ." < snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com...
Yeah, just some quick examples, I didn't go through the ads.
cp

It's 15. The US will not allow the importation of some vehilces into it no matter what the year. Canada allows ANY vehicle to be imported if it's 15 yrs or older.
http://articles.mbz.org/buying /