Opinions on 2006 E320 CDI

Page 1 of 2
Hi all,
I am considering purchasing a new E320 CDI. Does anyone have any opinions, positive or negative about the car? I have driven one and have been very impressed.
Thanks, Jeff

positive or negative about the car? I have driven one and have been very impressed.

I have an '05 and aside from small electronic issues, the car is great

Just curious, what electronic issues are you experiencing?
Jeff

things with the command system, I had to have the head unit replaced
I think the current E looks great. Indeed all three: C, E, S
DAS
"jdoe" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
A new V-6 CDI will be available in the fall. It's now sold in Europe and has better acceleration than the 3.5L V-6 gas and 1/3 better economy. Complicated engine, however, not as amenable for DIY owners, IMHO.
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:40:20 -0700, "T.G. Lambach"

And not as bullet proof as the old ones
Today's NY Times has an autos supplement - on all new cars. The copy about the updated '07 E-Classs mentions the 221 HP V-6 diesel's EPA is 27/37 mpg.
The same engine, with "BluTec" emissions controls, will be offered next year on the S Class models.
For me it's whether to buy the e300td or the 95 320CDI .... tough choice for myself. There have been comments here by Juergen, Lambach, Tiger etc that the CDI just may be more electronically problematic... very true I would think.... and the '99 and older td will be more reliable etc.... but, gee, the CDI sure does look great and, as you also noticed, sure zippes along. for me it will come down to where I get a better deal. At the moment here in Ontario, seems the older TD's are priced sillier.... probably the dealers are expecting more demand for the cheaper car.
cheers, guenter

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 17:08:18 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sciborg.uwaterloo.ca (Guenter Scholz) wrote:

if you buy an older td, you are getting old technology, the cdi is a solid, modern performer. It's speed and power rivals any gas engine and it has the reliability of an MB diesel. One small fault is that it does get slightly lower mpg than the older diesels, but that is partially because it performs so well that you tend to drive it faster

There was no CDI in 1995.
cp

        you are correct, of course I meant '05
cheers

That's what I figured. =)
cp
Guenter just checking whether cp was sleeping...
DAS
"cp" < snipped-for-privacy@asdf.com> wrote in message news:BWhmg.81237$771.70353@edtnps89...
[...]
=)

aye, but there's the rub. A 'solid' performer is so because it has proven itself over time and distance.... neither of these important criteria has been met by the CDI to date. Maybe in a few years.

just because it quacks like a duck does not mean it IS a duck. -cheers, guenter
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 19:53:39 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sciborg.uwaterloo.ca (Guenter Scholz) wrote:

but your 98 is coming close to the end of it's design life and there is no reason to think that a newer CDI will not perform as well. Pick your poison

gee, are the middle to late 90's benzes that bad?
cp

no, but my 05 will outlast your mid '90s cars by many years

Because it's newer or because it's better?
cp