Opinions on 2006 E320 CDI

Because it's newer or because it's better?

cp

Reply to
cp

because it is newer, what do you mean by better? It is better because the performance is light years ahead of the older diesels, but only time will tell if it is as bullet proof as the older ones

Reply to
jdoe

I don't believe you are appreciating the folks and their mentality who live in the Stuttgart area.... they are Schw"bisch, like myself. This translates to design and execution for the long term and, moreover, this is the reason that I'm primarily interested in the MB's in the first place. My '89 300e has over 250k km on it and has in no serious way gone past it's 'design' life. If there is one, I would put say that I'm possibly half way there; another 250k km and another 10 years or more. the only item that it may have outlived is 'style'.... but hey, retro inevitably becomes popular again. I just can't get over that you believe a 6 year old MB is near it's design life. A popular saying comes to mind ...."more money.....s"

- cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

the cdi engine is far superior to your car's engine. my 124 had more miles on than yours and it is still going, so you don't need to preach to me about longevity, nonetheless in my opinion the MB diesels are on borrowed time once they hit more than 300k miles. The question isn't whether the engine will hold up, the problems are with every other component that wasn't built for such a long life

Reply to
jdoe

Well, you could say that a new Pontiac Sunfire could potentially last longer than a 1990 Mercedes, but is it better? No. Same with your '05, It could last longer because it is newer AND because it also could be better.

If performance is your criteria than yes. My '85 300SD did 190km/h and that was enough for me. Acceleration was VERY good too. Why I sold it I don't know...

That's my (and most people around the world I would say) definition of better. Robustness.

cp

Reply to
cp

I thought he meant 1898.

cp

Reply to
cp

That again depends on your criteria of superior.

True. 300K miles for a typically North American maintained benz is pushing it, yes. Though I've spoken to 5 or 6 taxis drivers in Germany with the w124's and they had 700K-900K kilometers with original non-rebuilt engines and transmissions on them. Of course, taxi drivers know how to maintain their cars.

cp

Reply to
cp

than a 1990 Mercedes, but is it better? No. Same with

no, I'd never say that, I will say that you're just being obtuse, stay with your old smoker and have a good time, I'll be cruising by you in my CDI

Reply to
jdoe

Bugger off, prick. You'd think we're discussing politics or religion.

cp

Reply to
cp

HA! Are you trying to fool yourself or us? :-D The Sunfire will flicker and die in a couple of years, parts first start falling off then the serious stuff starts. I've a 2002 E-320 with 54,000 miles and it is like knew in all respects. I traded in a 1996 E-320 with 110,000 miles and the only problem I encountered was a failing rear window riser. The previous owner's only complaint was, "When I turn the radio up up full with full base, the driver's door rattles."

MB die hards should read Road & Track for November 2005 and get worried, it almost sounds as if MB is slipping badly in design, quality, etc. BMW is taking the front row seat that MB had.

Reply to
James O'Riley

Did you know that the singular of "criteria" is "criterion"?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

die in a couple of years, parts first start falling

I thought I picked a bad example. I drove a 1 year old Sunfire a couple of years ago, it felt like a Lada. =)

traded in a 1996 E-320 with 110,000 miles and the only

only complaint was, "When I turn the radio up up full

=)

almost sounds as if MB is slipping badly in design,

Oh that's old news. Benz's motto is, or at least was, "The Best or Nothing". As someone already said, since the mid 90's it's been nothing. Though perhaps I'm saying that because I can't afford to pay cash for a new one =)

cp

Reply to
cp

I did, but I doubt many people would understand "criterion" =)

cp

Reply to
cp

a totally over the top response... good grief.

guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

The new CDI cannot be that bad - they recently put 100,000 miles on each of several E classes in a month as a test, they ran the cars continually around the track. I am sure others here remember this.

I hope to get this same engine ( but detuned ) when the new Sprinter becomes available in the USA. Hopefully the price will not be ridiculous.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer