Oppinion on 1983 300 turbo diesel Wagon?

I already own a 1985 300 turbo diesel sedan - couldn't be happier with it and with the excellent advice I got here on it!
I just found a wagon for sale locally. ~250k miles, body looks good,
no rust, interior looks good.
I am told the only "major" problem is the A/C not working - this is the same problem my 1985 has and I have a guy local who, while he is awfully slow and hard to get focused, can fix these A/C units for less than an arm and a leg.
I'm going to go drive this thing, hopefully today - assuming I do that and A/C is the only major problem, I'm thinking this is a decent deal for $1500 or so?
From what I've read, wagons seem to be much more rare than non-wagons. Is that a GOOD rare or a BAD rare? They're not rare because everyone hates them I hope? I see very few, but darned if the car doesn't look decent to me.
Thanks very much for any thoughts on possibly Mercedes #2 (the Chevrolet isn't going to like this! <G>)
Lance
Wagons have the air suspension in the back which can be difficult/expensive to repair. For the money you're talking, it sounds great. If it looks like it was taken care of, get it.

Dan Streb wrote:

No, that is no air suspension, it is a hydropneumatic self-levelling system added to the conventional rear axle.
Juergen
I had a '85 diesel wagon and loved it. Make sure you have the engine compression checked. Otherwise, if it is in good condition with no rust...you cannot go wrong. Great car!
The reason they are "rare" is that they made (or sold) a lot less of them than the sedans.
Jack

well I have a 83, well for a few more weeks anyway, selling it to my cousin. But its been a great car, 370K still runs like a clock, can haul a load better than any mini-truck, and has only failed me twice. Once was the alternator, go figure, @ 370 K......and battery once, but once again, thats a soft part U expect to replace on occasion. as another poster commented they are rare because of low production numbers mainly, if you get into some of the other message boards you will find the typical owner has had or just plain has several of them and is rabidly enthusiastic about them.. I Just like cruising @ 20 MPH over the limit and never getting pulled over... Corey

Lance,
The wagons are really the same as the sedans with a few differences:
Rear doors are not the same as sedans Head on engine has a pump for the rear suspension rear suspenstion is level controled.
Otherwise, most is the same between cars.
Simply put, they did not sell as many wagons as sedans.
The wagons are GREAT! Most cargo room of ANY car/wagon/suv I have ever had.
Matt 1980 300TD-285K 1980 300TD-192K 1983 300CD-200K 1980 300CD-207K 1983 240D--223K 1983-240D--208K 1979-300D--120K (Parts)