Oppinion on 1983 300 turbo diesel Wagon?

I already own a 1985 300 turbo diesel sedan - couldn't be happier with it and with the excellent advice I got here on it!

I just found a wagon for sale locally. ~250k miles, body looks good, no rust, interior looks good.

I am told the only "major" problem is the A/C not working - this is the same problem my 1985 has and I have a guy local who, while he is awfully slow and hard to get focused, can fix these A/C units for less than an arm and a leg.

I'm going to go drive this thing, hopefully today - assuming I do that and A/C is the only major problem, I'm thinking this is a decent deal for $1500 or so?

From what I've read, wagons seem to be much more rare than non-wagons. Is that a GOOD rare or a BAD rare? They're not rare because everyone hates them I hope? I see very few, but darned if the car doesn't look decent to me.

Thanks very much for any thoughts on possibly Mercedes #2 (the Chevrolet isn't going to like this! )

Lance

Reply to
Lance

Dan Streb

No, that is no air suspension, it is a hydropneumatic self-levelling system added to the conventional rear axle.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

I had a '85 diesel wagon and loved it. Make sure you have the engine compression checked. Otherwise, if it is in good condition with no rust...you cannot go wrong. Great car!

The reason they are "rare" is that they made (or sold) a lot less of them than the sedans.

Jack

Reply to
Nevada Jack

Reply to
Tin Man

Lance,

The wagons are really the same as the sedans with a few differences:

Rear doors are not the same as sedans Head on engine has a pump for the rear suspension rear suspenstion is level controled.

Otherwise, most is the same between cars.

Simply put, they did not sell as many wagons as sedans.

The wagons are GREAT! Most cargo room of ANY car/wagon/suv I have ever had.

Matt

1980 300TD-285K 1980 300TD-192K 1983 300CD-200K 1980 300CD-207K 1983 240D--223K 1983-240D--208K 1979-300D--120K (Parts)
Reply to
Matthew J. Mondo