orphaned mercedes technology in Chrysler/Dodge?

And with Oldsmobile and GM they could probably use Buick parts as the two brands are almost identical. In fact the Olds V6 is a Buick V6. At least in 97 it was. My folks have one.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

I like the Unimog. It would be a fun vehicle but it does not come in a van body or with an automatic transmission. The Sprinter does.

I try to keep my interests healthy and am most appreciative of any suggestion that they may not be.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Oldsmobile had degnerated to the point that, other than trim and body panels, it was an entirely "corporate" car just like Pontiac is right now. The last Olds cars used the Buick v6 or the small Northstar v8. Chevy, Buick, and Cadillac are the only GM brands with any engineering identity left. Buick's is pretty much limited to the 3800 v6 engine (which is still so much better than the Chevrolet v6 engines that it has a home in all the car lines), and Cadillac's is the Northstar engine family.

Not that this is an altogether bad thing. Ford and Chrysler went to corporate-engineered drivetrains in the 50s, and that worked out much better than GM selling 3 different unrelated 350 v8s, thre unrelated 455 v8s, plus a 454, 500, and 472 all through the 70s. That was nonsensical.

Reply to
Steve

Right. They knew they were going to lose those markets.

But they build a people mover version of the Sprinter, so its not fair to say it was just aimed at commercial fleets. But they threw the people mover market away because the Sprinter is perceived as inappropriate. The old B van was pretty popular with types of businesses that won't touch a Sprinter: churches, child day care, retirement communities, hotels near airports that provide guest transportation to/from the airport, various types of assisted living facilities. These types of customers probably want a van that doesn't require special fuel, that anyone can work on, and that isn't noisy and doesn't smell bad.

Just another example of Schrempp not understanding America.

Reply to
edward ohare

The previous poster responded to me. How was he to know what group I was reading? You kept the crossposts. For the same reason?

Reply to
edward ohare

that's not correct, there are campers being marketed that are sprinter conversions

Reply to
jdoe

edward ohare wrote: The old B van was pretty popular with types of

The old B-van RULED the full-size van market from the 70s through the

80s. Ford and GM couldn't touch Dodge in sales or in the quality of the vans, and (especially in the 70s) the versatility of the van chassis as a basis for custom vehicles and motorhomes. I have *no* idea why they let the B-van stagnate while Ford and GM both passed them in improvements and (especially Ford) took that market segment away. True, they were kicking everyone's butt in the Minivan market, and I guess that was far more profitable. But still a shame to see such complete dominance in a market segment thrown away by simple neglect.
Reply to
Steve

Simply a case of poor stale management. Just imagine how many good frustrated people left to make Toyota, Honda, etc so successful.

Reply to
who

So true. Oldsmobile parts were used in several other GM brands.

Reply to
who

Actually I have seen some NICE mini RV based sprinters. For $70k

Reply to
robrjt