orphaned mercedes technology in Chrysler/Dodge?

Page 2 of 2
Then I stand corrected! I now see that there is not an actual law, and I am not going to try to defend it since it obviously doesn't exist. I wasn't trying to pedal crap, I honestly believed that the law existed.
I was not put under the impression by a salesman. I know better than to believe a salesman. I was put under the impression by the owner of the dealership, who was a friend's brother. My friend is an honest person, so I extended the belief of honesty to his brother. Oops. I guess in reality he is the head salesman, but I would hold him a little more accountable, thus hope more honest. As Edward Ohare stated on here a few hours ago, he believes that GM did promise parts for the oldsmobile. So apparently around the time that Olds was dissolving, they were making some promises, which I can see how the owner may have embelished by adding some legal claims to it.
I really don't want to argue about this any more. I've already said that I was mistaken twice. If this is really supposed to be a forum about helping people, why don't we get to that...
As I stated in my first posting, freightliner also sells the Sprinter. I am not sure if that is gong to change after DC divorces, but I think it would be a viable idea to check with a freightliner dealer to see what they have as far as plans for parts. Even though the Sprinter hasn't been a huge success on a small business or personal use level, both UPS and DHL use them. Even though it is possible that these large companies might have their own supliers, I would imagine that if one tried hard enough, they could find a supplier for the parts well into the future. Car companies stop making models all the time, and continue to have parts for them.
I really don't think that finding parts is something worth worrying about. If it does become a problem, I would imagine that some little company would pop up to feed the market created by the shortage- importing parts from Europe where Sprinters abound. It's the American way.
Have a good day, Bill

The previous poster responded to me. How was he to know what group I was reading? You kept the crossposts. For the same reason?
Robert Reynolds wrote:

You're not looking closely. They've done decent business in fleet sales, which is what the Sprinter is intended for. Its not really a replacement for the B-series van- you won't see any luxury van conversions or mini-RVs based on the Sprinter.

I thnk their sales in prior years were constrained by their old assembly plant in North carolina - they could only bring in about 30000 per year. Their new assembly plant can do more and can be expanded so the numbers should increase. Hopefully the supply will increase to the point that an extra long wheelbase cargo will go for much less than the 38K MSRP.
.
You're showing an 'unhealthy' interest. What happened to the Unimog plan?
DAS
"greek_philosophizer" <greek snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

I like the Unimog. It would be a fun vehicle but it does not come in a van body or with an automatic transmission. The Sprinter does.
I try to keep my interests healthy and am most appreciative of any suggestion that they may not be.
.

Right. They knew they were going to lose those markets.
But they build a people mover version of the Sprinter, so its not fair to say it was just aimed at commercial fleets. But they threw the people mover market away because the Sprinter is perceived as inappropriate. The old B van was pretty popular with types of businesses that won't touch a Sprinter: churches, child day care, retirement communities, hotels near airports that provide guest transportation to/from the airport, various types of assisted living facilities. These types of customers probably want a van that doesn't require special fuel, that anyone can work on, and that isn't noisy and doesn't smell bad.
Just another example of Schrempp not understanding America.
edward ohare wrote: The old B van was pretty popular with types of

The old B-van RULED the full-size van market from the 70s through the 80s. Ford and GM couldn't touch Dodge in sales or in the quality of the vans, and (especially in the 70s) the versatility of the van chassis as a basis for custom vehicles and motorhomes. I have *no* idea why they let the B-van stagnate while Ford and GM both passed them in improvements and (especially Ford) took that market segment away. True, they were kicking everyone's butt in the Minivan market, and I guess that was far more profitable. But still a shame to see such complete dominance in a market segment thrown away by simple neglect.

Just imagine how many good frustrated people left to make Toyota, Honda, etc so successful.

that's not correct, there are campers being marketed that are sprinter conversions

Actually I have seen some NICE mini RV based sprinters. For $70k