Pacific Fuel Injection

Page 1 of 2
Does anyone have any information as to how much Pacific Fuel Injection charges to rebuild a diesel injector pump on a OM617 5-cylinder engine?
My pump is tired, which is making my newly-rebuilt engine shake at
idle and also is causing low-end power trouble because I cannot get it adjusted. The pump has 220K miles on it, and as far as I am concerned should not need rebuild, but that is the only thing I can think of that would make this engine vibrate the way it does at idle and perform poorly.
Thanks for any info....

I've been trying to follow along with your troubles, so I don't know if you've mentioned this or not, but have you tried cleaning, rebuilding, or replacing your injectors first? I've had some shaking and bad low end power in mine, but I think that it is because I have at least one injector that needs to be rebuilt. I did a diesel purge the other day and that seemed to help tremendously. Although my fuel mileage has not improved as much as I'd hoped. If they have been rebuilt, were they pressure tested and balanced? My next big project on my car will be to get new nozzles and a pressure tester and replace the nozzles and balance all the injectors.
Sorry if this has been discussed before. I have no actual info to the topic at hand.

I don't know about charges because I got my pump which was rebuilt by Pacific Fuel Injection Service as a part of a complete engine remanufacture by Metric Motors of Canoga Park, CA. But I can state with certainty that Gus, the owner of Pacific Fuel Injection and brains of the operation stands behind his work and honors his warranty and does what he can to help you get your car working right if there is a problem. He is very patient with answering questions, etc.
Paul Fretheim

Thanks very much. I have been very impressed with the volume and nature of the recommendations that this shop has received. I am planing a Southern California trip soon and may just take the car down there to have it evaluated.

Pretty sure that Pacific Fuel Injection is just south of San Francisco-not SoCal.

I just provided the address in an earlier post to this thread, but here it is again:
Pacific Fuel Injection Service South San Francisco. 153 Utah Ave South San Francisco, CA 94080 map district: South San Francisco Tel. 650.588.8880
What I said was that I WAS GOING to Southern California. It happens to be on the way, if you are driving from Washington State, as I am.

Misunderstood. Your route is the same one that I would take since I live in Bellevue WA. Take 101-much nicer. Take 1 where it parallels 101-even nicer.

That is correct. It is not far from Candlestick Park or the airport where the old gigantic Zepplin barns are. It's in South San Francisco, which is a separate city from San Francisco, but is contiguous with it.
Randall - Have you checked the EGR valve? I had my engine remanufactured and it was still hard to start until I realized that the EGR valve was not closing. I removed the vacuum from it and it now stays closed all the time. This is not a problem for the engine, and where I live, in the remote eastern Sierra the increased NO2 emissions don't matter. We don't have to have our cars smogged here.

This is a good idea, and I will do so immediately. Thanks.

P.S. My $5k engine rebuild did not include rebuilding the pump or the injectors, or any work whatsoever on the fuel delivery system, as I would have expected.

Thanks very much. I have been very impressed with the volume and nature of the recommendations that this shop has received. I am planing a Southern California trip soon and may just take the car down there to have it evaluated.

Not all, as this specific issue has not really been examined. My engine has recently been rebuilt, but that does not mean that the injectors were rebuilt, and in fact I know that the pump was not rebuilt.
I am thinking that perhaps at this point it would be prudent to take the car to my previous shop and have them examine the entire fuel delivery system and then decide. Rebuilding the pump and/or the injectors is beyond my capability, and I do not want to just start sending out parts for rebuild or replacement without knowing what is actually causing the problem.
Thanks again!

Not all, as this specific issue has not really been examined. My engine has recently been rebuilt, but that does not mean that the injectors were rebuilt, and in fact I know that the pump was not rebuilt.
I am thinking that perhaps at this point it would be prudent to take the car to my previous shop and have them examine the entire fuel delivery system and then decide. Rebuilding the pump and/or the injectors is beyond my capability, and I do not want to just start sending out parts for rebuild or replacement without knowing what is actually causing the problem.
Thanks again!
An advice from a super old timer who worked on Mercedes Diesel engines for a long time... wuth a near full tank of fuel, pour in one gallon of premium unleaded fuel and drive until empty.
It will clean up anything that may be wrong with the fuel system.
Tiger wrote:

If I had heard that from anyone else I'd say they were FOS. Have *you* ever done that?
JD wrote:

It's a rather strong action. We used to do the same thing. Only we used kerosene.
EJ in NJ
On Jan 21, 6:33pm, JD wrote:

Along the lines of what Doug suggested, I'd want to know more about the injectors too. We know the injectors were not rebuilt as part of the engine rebuild. Have you asked the rebuild company if they were at least bench tested? How many miles are on them? If they are original, or you don't know the history, I'd start by having them tested or rebuilt first. They are well known for causing rough idle and around 120K is typical life. There are videos online of engines shaking like hell and just changing the nozzles, not even correctly pressure setting them, quiets the whole thing down.
Where is Pacific Fuel Injection located? I was planning on rebuilding my injectors myself, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'd be interested in giving them a call and find out how much they would charge.

Thanks for that info. Pacific Fuel Injection Service is located in South San Francisco.
153 Utah Ave South San Francisco, CA 94080 map district: South San Francisco
Tel. 650.588.8880

Thanks for the info. I may give them a call and see what they charge to rebuild my injectors. I was planning on doing mine myself. The only big obstacle is you need am injector pop tester and they are expensive. I was in the process of building one myself. I found plans online from a guy that built one using a bench mounted hydraulic pump. I got as far as buying the pump. Got a great deal on a brand new one on Ebay for $50 that would have cost $300 retail.
The only remaining part I may need is an old diesel injector line so that I have a fitting that mates with the injector. The rest is standard fittings, gauge, etc that are readily available. If anybody here has an extra one they are willing to part with, let me know.
Keep us posted on what you find out about your problem. The most curious point you make is that the car ran fine at idle prior to the rebuild. Another question, why was the engine in need of being rebuilt?

It is curious, indeed. The only theory I have come up with is that the changed displacement of the engine may have affected the way it runs, but the rebuilt engine is certainly no improvement over the way it ran prior, and thus to your question, why the rebuild?
I'll try to give a shortened version of the story as it has been posted here before: The engine wouldn't start when cold weather began in the late fall of 2008. I changed glow plugs, to no avail. I was traveling extensively and didn't have time to deal with the engine, and so had it towed to a Mercedes shop I knew nothing whatsoever about (my regular shop is 35 mi. away). This technician conducted a compression test and reported no- or very low compression in all cylinders. It is worth noting here that my long-time shop had done a valve adjustment previously; the work was done by a new employee I had never seen before. The shop that conducted the compression test reported all valves extremely tight. The said an overhaul was necessary. I was out of the country and gave the go-ahead.
Upon completion of the rebuild, the engine was near-impossible to start and had no power. A check of the fuel injector pump showed it to be 180 degrees out of adjustment, so once that was addressed, the engine developed much better power, and I proceeded with the break-in procedure. It ran rough at idle, and I attempted to adjust this out through minute changes to the idle control setting, all to no avail. I took the car back to the shop, and the technician blamed the injector pump, saying it was "weak" and couldn't be properly adjusted. (I would have thought that this would have been checked and corrected in the course of the engine rebuild, but no.)
So, $5.5K later, I have an engine that is hard-starting, only runs smoothly above about 1,000 RPM, and has poor low-end power. The engine will not start at all below 40F unless the block heater has been plugged in. The engine smokes prodigiously at start-up and has one leaking injector.