Pagoda Glove Compartment Door Lens

I've noticed that the 230/250/280SL has a small glass lens set into its glove compartment door, off to one side. What is that thing? It resembles a sight glass
that allows one to peer into the glove compartment without actually opening it. (I know it isn't, but that's what it looks like.)
Geoff
--
"Calling Bush a draft-dodger, which he is not, will join
the Democrats' list of other cogent, reasoned arguments,

Map light/lens

A map light that shines straight back onto the passenger-side seatback (or onto the passenger's chest)? What will those wacky Chermans think of next?
Geoff
--
"Calling Bush a draft-dodger, which he is not, will join
the Democrats' list of other cogent, reasoned arguments,

A Map light that is used when the glove box door is in the open position ... you look through the magnifier lens from the Top, which is there to aid you in reading the Fine print/detail of the Map which is held below the open door.... Simple..
snipped-for-privacy@u1.netgate.net (Geoff Miller) haute in die Tasten:

Mercedes R107 (and my BMW E30) have a plug for a tiny, rechargeable flashlight in the glovebox. That is next.
Frank