Paint cost?

How much should I expect to pay for a good paint job on my 1984 300SD? The body is very straight and no rust. The problem is the clear coat is starting
to come off. The car has 286XXX no oil leaks, does not use oil between oil changes. It does flare on the 2-3 upshift and needs a Diff. The question is how much to fix or replace? Thanks John E Culver
Like many things, the more you spend, the more you get.
Depending on where you live, I would look into several car painters and ask for their references, i.e. customers. Look at the paint jobs. Look for overspray on rubber parts, door jabs, runs, "fish eyes" and other bad things.
A color change is always more expensive.
Do you plan to keep the car? Do looks or performance matter most? These are the questions I've heard many times at my buddies biz - a paint shop. He does primo work - but it's not cheap.
You can get it "colored" for US$400-1000. Want to do the job right, expect to spend US$3500-10,000. I'm going to eventually "do" my 1967 Porsche 912 Targa. I'm guessing between US$6500-8000 for paint, new rubber bits, and most importantly, do the job right - 'cause I'm never going to sell it.
I just was talking to my body shop guy who does really great work and I know pretty well. He told me it would cost about $2500 just for the materials to paint my 1980 300SD.
It pays to shop. Material quality and experiance in painting ,preparation cleanlyness of facility and paying attention to details makes alot of differance in painting prices . I went to the local paint house last month to check on paint prices for a 2 gt base coat $32.26 / 1 gal clear coat $45.00 system with catalist $28.00. 1 gt thinner $4.64 no primmer. The price was $108.01. That was for dupont Nason. Thats enough material to recoat the top color on my 1991 300E. Here are some links to look at. http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/scripts/depot.exe?pgm lgate.bbx http://www.autobodydepot.net/scripts/depot.exe?pgm potgate.bbx http://performancecoatings.dupont.com / http://performancecoatings.dupont.com/bowstreet/com.bowstreet.service.DPCLog inMNF/Method:external:DPC-Login-HM-C:InterfaceFunction

$2500 just for the materials to paint my 1980 300SD??? That is insane and blatent lie.