Paint cost?

How much should I expect to pay for a good paint job on my 1984 300SD? The body is very straight and no rust. The problem is the clear coat is starting to come off. The car has 286XXX no oil leaks, does not use oil between oil changes. It does flare on the 2-3 upshift and needs a Diff. The question is how much to fix or replace? Thanks John E Culver

Reply to
John E Culver

Like many things, the more you spend, the more you get.

Depending on where you live, I would look into several car painters and ask for their references, i.e. customers. Look at the paint jobs. Look for overspray on rubber parts, door jabs, runs, "fish eyes" and other bad things.

A color change is always more expensive.

Do you plan to keep the car? Do looks or performance matter most? These are the questions I've heard many times at my buddies biz - a paint shop. He does primo work - but it's not cheap.

You can get it "colored" for US$400-1000. Want to do the job right, expect to spend US$3500-10,000. I'm going to eventually "do" my 1967 Porsche 912 Targa. I'm guessing between US$6500-8000 for paint, new rubber bits, and most importantly, do the job right - 'cause I'm never going to sell it.

Reply to
bmwloco

I just was talking to my body shop guy who does really great work and I know pretty well. He told me it would cost about $2500 just for the materials to paint my 1980 300SD.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

$2500 just for the materials to paint my 1980 300SD??? That is insane and blatent lie.

Reply to
Tiger