Parts 90's W124 300TD

In my search for a 300TD wagon. I have heard a number of discouraging statements regarding parts availability.
How many of the parts from similar vintage gasoline powered vehicles are
in common with the diesel. Logic suggests to me that all but the engine and some drive train components ought to be the same (though I am guessing)?
Are the diesel specific parts hard to find? (I live in Vancouver if that matters).
Thanks - I am deciding whether to get someone to import a 300TD from Germany for me, or heading over personally after world cup. I also have an acquaintance in the business looking for a local car (so far with no luck).

Like what?
Call up BMV Auto Parts in Richmond, they specialize in benz parts all the way to the 50's, they'll know better than anyone in the Lower Mainland:
http://www.bmvautoparts.com /

We have six ol' diesel benzes and parts were never hard to find. On the other hand, the cars don't break so nothing much is needed.
And apart from the engine there's very little specific diesel parts.
Also, keep in mind, you can get parts from all over the world with no problem.

What kind of car is he looking for, gas? Diesel?
chris
cp wrote:

(so he says) and has nothing for me. Thanks for the information! much appreciated.

Oh, I thought he was looking for himself. I think the last 300TD in Vancouver was the 1990 my father sold 1.5 years ago =)
When you get a car email me kp6b70 at gmail dot com and I'll give you the phone number of my friend, he's very good and reasonable. Very reasonable.
chris
cp wrote:

(whispers) they're really cool cars and almost have a cult following you won't find many but they are around. I know of one in upstate nyc...
Make it a long slow careful search, you may be buying it for life.
Just checking on Canadian terminology....
Is that the USA?
DAS
"cp" < snipped-for-privacy@asdf.com> wrote in message news:i6Ilg.69495$S61.64681@edtnps90...
[...]
> Lower Mainland:
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

surrounding cities. We have an entirely different lexicon that refers to our neighbors to the South ;)... J/K

I should have read your reply before replying again to Dori

shhhhhhhhhhhh! =)
cp

of importance was access by sea to this area. Victoria on Vancouver Island was the main center of civilization, in addition to Vancouver in Oregon because of the Thompson river, for the British pre confederation (when we got the railway to the east). So, the term lower mainland is used by people in BC much the same way as Newfoundlander's refer to Canada as the 'mainland'.
cheers, guenter
Thanks to all for the explanatory replies. I had heard that the geography around Vancouver was rather unusual (and very pretty).
Got my (online) atlas out:
http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/gbr/dyn/controller/mapPerformPage?strAddress=&strCP=&strLocation=vancouver&strCountry 45795&image2.x)&image2.y
I was very pleased to note that Richmond is, if not in Surrey (as it should be) at least next to it...
Also not a lot of towns outside the immediate region. Not like Richmond, Surrey, at all...
:-) DAS
"Guenter Scholz" < snipped-for-privacy@sciborg.uwaterloo.ca> wrote in message
news:e7970r$6gm$ snipped-for-privacy@rumours.uwaterloo.ca...

Yes, it's all mountains and water.
http://tinyurl.com/z6o8p

I'm glad Richmond is not "in" Surrey, definitely would not want to work there. Our Surrey has a lowly reputation.

Yes, take a look at the satellite map; we're all water and mountains, with the majority of the population congregated in what we refer to as the Lower Mainland.
cp
Maybe I'll get there one day. It's just friggin' 3000 miles from Toronto....
I was reminded that a few years ago an ex-colleague based in Germany had been on holiday in Vancouver, liked it so much he decided to emigrate.
So, a few months later he took himself and his girlfriend off and he found a job but... regrettably... his partner just could not cope with it and so, about six months later, he returned to Germany, where he still is.
DAS
"cp" < snipped-for-privacy@asdf.com> wrote in message news:eofmg.73836$JX1.51792@edtnps82...
[...]

Yeah, been there, done that (in a Civic unfortunately). Let me know when you're here, will get you a Granville Island pale ale =)

It's a nice city, at least near the downtown core. If someone likes what we call here the "Westcoast" lifestyle than it will do for them. cp
Cheers...!..
DAS
"cp" < snipped-for-privacy@asdf.com> wrote in message news:pWimg.71821$S61.63081@edtnps90...
[...]
Sorry Dori =)
smoked_salmon is from Vancouver as well; we call the greater Vancouver area and a bit beyond the "Lower Mainland", it's where most of the province's population is.
cp

Ignore them.

Eh.
You can probably find what you want in the states cheaper and closer.

My father might be going next month again to Germany, I'll tell him to look around if anyone is interested but be willing to spend 10K CAD if interested.
cp