Paying for my bargain

97 E320 Ok. I've got an "issue" to discuss. After it rains, there's a "sloshing" inside the car. It sounds like it's in the door but there's nothing
audible when I move the doors. When the car sits, I notice when facing uphill, there's a steady drip from under the rear door. Apparently there's a channel getting filled with water. But that leads us to find the source. There's no apparent leak around the moon/sun roof. But the strip has a gap under the plastic edgeing. Could water be running in there, and then down into the under-door channel? Looks like my "bargain" is paying for itself. :O
Collin KC8TKA
Sun roofs usually have drains - steel tubes down thru the roof pillars and presumably out the body. Dirt fills these tubes or in this case may have filled the cavity into which a tube drains.
Suggest you look from under the car for the source and see if its not from a clogged drain.
Sometime the sunroof drain get clogged with tree stuff... so use a can of air and blow into the drain hole... do not use compressed air or you might pop off the drain hose.
I have a can of air in my camera stuff. But it's compressed. Or are you saying to avoid something else specific?
Collin

That's fine. He's saying don't use a shop compressor, as the pressure might be so great that the tube will pop off internally.
If you have a fine wire, you could try that first.
Be gentle. Marty
Dripping from the door bottom? Or from the frame below the door? Park car facing uphill, open the door. See where water comes from.
If it's from door bottom, it is the rain water coming down from glass then collecting inside the door. There should be 2-3 rectangle holes at the door bottom. Some may be blocked by debris (rubberized insulation or broken glass). You may need to take out the inside panel to clear the holes.
If it's from the frame, it is probably from sunroof drain. I am not familiar with this particular model but I think the drain goes from right rear pillar and opens near gas filler door. The drain tube is probably broken.
Don't get water stay inside. Rust is #1 killer of cars.
Cheesehead wrote:

Used to be a common problem. Just get a screwdriver and unblock the 4 grommets under the sills. 2 per sill.

my favorite way to clear these is with a bicycle gear or brake cable. Get one at a local bike shop for a $1 or $2 and have them cut one of the lead beads off the end with their special wire cutters. This makes a really good sunroof drain snake...
-Eric Wayne, PA

Clearing it is my first project after work tonight.
Collin
Check rocker panels also. ..,..drill two small drain holes if necessary, at lowest point