Perma-fog in bottom corner of rear window 84 300SD

Hi all!
Thanks to T.G. got both fuel filters replaced, unfortunately needed to drive asap and had to settle for Autozone filters (courtesy of Red-White-and-Blue union labor). Anyway, stalling problem fixed.
Non-OEM parts look chintzy - I compared BOSCH second. filter and CHAMP USA made filter side-by-side, and you can kind of tell the better made one ... :)
Another question: I got this crazy-looking fog in the corner of my rear window ([whispers:] and I think it's growing ...). I also notice that metal heating threads rust in that area, which indicates it's moisture-related. My gut feeling is telling me it's permanent and irreversible.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
MMVJ
| Any thoughts? |
The rear window needs to be replaced the 2 layers of glass are separating. Try for either second hand, or a very, very expensive new one ;)
That problem is very common.
Sigla strikes again!Hah
On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:57:57 -0700, Mia wrote:

Yep - I've gotten to the point that no matter what's wrong with my 300D, I replace the fuel filters - small one first. Rear defrost won't work? Replace the filters. Cruise control won't cruise? Replace the filters. Door won't close without slamming it? ... you get the idea.

No thoughts - just condolences. It's very tricky getting multiple layers of something as non-sticky as glass and plastic to stick together over countless day/night heat/cool cycles, and years of UV exposure. The window is a goner - and given that leaks in the rear window gasket can cause interesting rust holes in your body, it's probably just as well. Those window gaskets, depending on sunlight and ozone exposure in your area are only good for so many years anyway before they develop small cracks and leaks - same for the windshield, by the way.
Cheers,
Conrad
Hm ... Sounds sad ...
Any course of action? Car cover? New seals? Liquid nails? How long do I have until my entire rear window is like that?
Mia
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 08:17:15 -0700, Mia wrote:

Too many variables - maybe a couple of years, maybe forever. But repacement is not such a bad idea anyway as the gasket needs replacing from time to time to prevent body leaks/rust as the gasket stiffens and cracks.
Cheers,
Conrad