Petrol busts the pound a litre barrier in the UK

Page 3 of 3
I wonder if dropping the fuel tax is a good idea.
Lower prices means more demand.
More demand and a limited supply means higher prices anyway.
But then I cannot relate to $7.50 USD gallons
living in the USA as I do.
.

There never was one. The annual car tax disc was once known as the RFL - road fund licence. Fuel tax just goes into general taxation.
Dunno what the fuss is. Would you expect tobacco taxation to be used only for the benefit of smokers? Alcohol taxation solely for the benefit of drinkers?
--
*Upon the advice of my attorney, my shirt bears no message at this time

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:32:14 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

Well the Americans seem to manage to spend fuel tax on travel related things... Even the Germans with their famously expensive social security bill manage to avoid stealing too much of it.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/05/business_petrol_pricing/html/3.stm
Dodgy.

It's rule one of taxation in a modern society that everyone wants the benefits but that others pay for it.
When you're young, you may want to drive around just for fun in a flash car while living in a bedsit, so things like paying for the education of kids and looking after old people are well down the list. Move on a few years after you're married and housing and education become priorities. Move on a few more years and pensions and health care become more the issue.
I'm not saying the UK has got the balance between state provided services and taxation right for everyone, but then neither has any other country - as it depends on the individual.
--
*The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind *