Please help - persistent CE light on '95 E320 driving me to drink!

As a follow-up to a post several months ago, I have a Check Engine light on my '95 E320 wagon that is making me crazy (and poor). The following has now taken place and I would greatly appreciate some advice from those who have been kind enough to offer such in the past.

- CE light was diagnosed by dealer as bad air mass meter which they replaced;

- light came back on and was diagnosed as bad O2 sensor which they replaced;

- light came back on and I was directed by several folks on this group to try replacing the fuel filler cap before wasting any further money;

- I changed the filler cap and the light has now come back on.

I have now gotten the fault code from the diagnostics box (26 flashes) but don't know what that means. I am afraid to take it back to the same dealer who has now apprently misdiagnosed the problem two times (nearly $1,200 to their favor).

Your advice is greatly.

Thanks in advance from a very distraught Mercedes owner in Texas.

Reply to
DR

Code 26 is 2-3 shift delay system Common fault on 124.032 chassis. Check the hose [ green] behind the booster going to the trans for cracks. You can erase or access the codes on that car from the buttton in front of the battery.

Reply to
AJDalton7

I wish I could be of more help, but this is all I have :

My wife used to rarely drive our 95 E320 wagon. Due to circumstances beyond our control, she has had to drive it much more frequently. When she first started to drive it frequently, she reported to me that the CE light was on. I drove it out of the normal "male/female" thing to see if it was actually a different light. I saw that it was in fact the CE light. I promptly made an appointment with the dealer for a quick diagnostic check after the weekend. The person who I spoke with has been my rep with the dealer for my entire 7 years with the car, so I trust him. He told me there was nothing to worry about, and in my short drive I noticed nothing different.

Then it gets weird. The next four days, while I was driving (four times), the light NEVER came on again. However, EVERY time my wife was driving (8-10 times) the light did come on. I was a passenger in the car on some of these occasions.

The day of the appointment, the light did not come on and has never come on again.

I dunno, maybe she was do>As a follow-up to a post several months ago, I have a Check Engine light on

Reply to
GT

Anyone owning a 94/95 E320 should learn how to get the CE lamp activation codes . They are easily accessable from under the hood and this will tell you what system is causng thew CE lamp to come on. There are 28 different codes and anyone who tells you its just the gas cap or don't worry about it knows Nothing. The CE lamp is there to warn you of a power train system malfunction and it needs addressing. The led/sw is in a simple diagnostic box in front of the battery and a simple

2 sec hold/release on the button will send back a flash LED code to you . The number of flashes relate to the malfuntion code. This button held for 8 sec will erase the code and extinguish the CE lamp If the CE clears itself , you have an intermttent problem , most likely a code 4 sticking EGR valve on that series.[ there was a TSB on this] The ONLY way to proerly diagnose such is to get the codes.. the faulty system can then be checked. Codes can be a simple as vac leaks to as complicated as ECU modules. The car has the diagnostics built right in.. use it...
Reply to
AJDalton7

Any idea on how to do this with a '95 S420 ?

Reply to
John Martuch