Polarity of power outlet

I am removing my ashtray and cigar lighter as I have no need for them. I am putting in a new power outlet (old cigar lighter socket with a fancy new name) and was wondering about the polarity of the connections.
I assume that the center pole is + and the case is - (ground). Right?
Chip
Since the whole chassis is attached to the battery's negative terminal the "hot" wire is the + one.
Be sure the device that you'll be plugging into the power outlet expects that polarity.
permission.
On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 20:01:11 -0800, "-->> T.G. Lambach <<--" <"T.G. Lambach at NoHamorSpamcomcast.net"> wrote:

And always use a multimeter to check polarity when working on the car electrics.
David
On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 17:19:52 -0700, Chip wrote:

That is the way it's been on every car that I've ever worked on, and that is what virtually all 12 volt accessories that use a lighter plug expect to find.