Poor cold shifting 240D

The previous owner had the shifting basically disabled so you had to accelerate hard to shift. I adjusted it back to what I thought was normal speeds with moderate acceleration . Now for the first 30 miles or so it
shifts terribly, hard at different speeds etc. Afterwards it's fine. I've checked for vacuum leaks but everything seems tight.
Any suggestions?
Chris
Be sure that vacuum is present at the plastic vacuum valve on the rear of the injection pump. It could be that the vacuum supply line(s) are dirty and plugged.
TG,
I checked the tube today and it is clear. Could it be the valve on the injector pump? Poor vacuum when cold?
Chris

Check vacuum at transmission modulator upon cold start at idle. Probably none will be found so your task is to back track until vacuum IS found. The engine's vacuum pump IS working or the car would have no power brakes, so your challenge is to find the reason no vacuum is getting to the transmission OR, that the transmission's modulator is bad and only works after it gets warm.
It could be a drop of condensation in a vacuum line that freezes and blocks the vacuum until it's melted by the engine or transmission's heat.
I had a similar problem on my 95 E320; hard shifting from 1st to 2nd for about 10 mins...replaced the transmission fluid filter and the problem disappeared.