Poor MB on E430 Service Continues

I posted a few weeks ago lamenting that while my 2000 E430 Sport has been a wonderful, superbly reliable car, my service experience has been dreadful. Well, folks, the comedy of errors continues.

This week I took the poor thing in to MB of Littleton, Co (dealer in Denver) for a simple "A" service (an oil change) and a wiper blade. I was attending a meeting at a Marriott Suites two blocks away, so I dropped it off in the AM and a colleague took me back to get it that afternoon.

Presented all clean and ready to go (hold on to your ass!) I drove it two blocks back to the hotel and parked it overnight. Yesterday afternoon I went to drive it to another meeting, it goes about 25 feet and the "Low Coolant" warning light comes on! So, I take it right back the two blocks to MB of Littleton, lift the hood and there's green fluid (which turned out to be oil, not coolant ) all over the engine, the radiator and dripping out from under the belly pan!

Off it goes into the shop, after which they apologize and say the tech had gotten oil all over the engine when he'd changed it and hadn't cleaned it off sufficiently. They steam cleaned it off for me, etc. They had no idea why the "low coolant" light had come on, but topped up the coolant regardless. So, fearing the worst I drove it 500 miles back home expecting the thing to self destruct on the way. Fortunately it didn't.

(BTW, this is the same dealer that back in 2001 had offered me a weekend in Vail if I'd let them fill out the MB Service Satisfaction survey!)

Folks, this poor car has never had a problem that wasn't caused by TAKING IT IN FOR SERVICE!!!!!!! How could I possibly buy/lease another MB with service like this? MBUSA, if you monitor this forum, PLEASE take charge of retail service!

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge