power cuts out

Re: '97 A-Class Merc (auto) when driving, all the lights come on the dashboard and the power completely cuts out. Once you restart the engine everything is fine. This happens regardless of how much petrol is in the
car, does anyone have any idea what could be the problem? and if so, could it be a major problem? thanks for your help.
A class not sold in USA so this is a speculative suggestion on my part.
Other M-B models have a fuel pump relay - like a switch - to power the electric fuel pump. Such relays get tired over time and after ten years that my be the problem with your car. In that instance the relay switches to OFF (default) and the fuel pump stops and therefore the motor stops yet the ignition remains ON and so the warning lights illuminate.
permission.