Power steering 1983 300SD

I am doing an all around fluid change ( oil, brake, transmission, differential, antifreeze and power steering) on this car. I am to the power steering. The steering on this car (1983) seems OK to me but I have very little to judge it against since all my other cars do not have assisted steering. Very little information in either Haynes or the 126 CD manual. I went to our local junk yard and unscrewed a 12mm "drain plug" on the bottom of what I will call the steering gear box and low and behold the power steering reservoir drained promptly. This was an older car 1978 I think. When I got home I repeated the procedure and got nothing but a slow drip out of the "gear box" the drip slowly increased with time but has me puzzled. I loosened the hoses from the reservoir to the gear box and they dripped fluid rapidly. Do I have something wrong or plugged in the gear box or is this OK for an 1983 model? There is also a filter in the reservoir which I am replacing but would like to know if I need to do any flushing or other simple diagnostic work before I put the new fluid in. Thanks for any information in advance. wolf

Reply to
Wolfgang Bley

Forgot to add ..What kind of fluid is acceptable for the MB power seering ie.) Is ATF OK in these vehicles? wolf

Reply to
Wolfgang Bley

Remove the return hose to the pump's reservoir and temporarily plug the fitting. Put the return hose into the drain can and be ready to fill new fluid into the reservoir while you idle the engine. The pump will circulate the new fluid through the system.

The paper filter is inside the reservoir.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

The return hose is the "big" hose I presume and do you disconnect it at the reservoir or the gear box end? What kind of fluid (?DexonIII or something eloase) do you use? Thanks wolf

Reply to
Wolfgang Bley

Detach the hose from the side of the reservoir body and plug the reservoir fitting after the old oil drains from it. Then put the now loose hose end into the waste can, replace the paper filter and refill the reservoir with new fluid. Start the engine and the pump will suck the new fluid into the steering system. Keep refilling to avoid any air from getting pulled into the system.

Don't forget that you can kill the engine with the STOP lever on the throttle linkage.

I have no preference about the fluid, call MBUSA and ask for "Technical" if you're in doubt; they'll give you the official recommendation.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

As always your post is most helpful and informative. Thanks again wolf

Reply to
Wolfgang Bley