Power steering fluid ('86 w123)

The manual doesn't specify anything beyond, "use Mercedes-approved oil." If I get a quart of "power steering fluid" at Autozone, will that work ok in the Mercedes?

Reviewing old posts here, they're mixed on using ATF vs. power steering fluid; presumably they're fairly close and ultimately perhaps it makes little difference, but I want to do it "right."

Also, the manual says to fill the oil to between the high and low marks on the little plastic deal, but the only markings on it are little triangles that run the length of the plastic thing, so I'm thinking instead maybe I should just pour it in 'til it's up to the ground area, where the reservoir changes from round to box-shaped? Dunno if this makes much sense to many unless they know this specific unit, but it'd fill it to within maybe 3/4" of the reservoir cap.

thanks,

-tom!

Reply to
Tom Plunket

I am puzzled by your subject ('86 x123)......

No such thing....

The 123 body ended at the finish of the 1985 model year!

Reply to
Karl

Whoops, mistyped, '85 it is. Woulda left the year out entirely, but the manual shows that there was a change to the PS pump in '81...

-tom!

Reply to
Tom Plunket

I fill it to just below the top of 68 here:

Karl

Hmm, that would be a problem for me as the top of that plastic deal is above the top of the reservoir. :)

So, power steering fluid or ATF? If ATF, why not power steering fluid?

Thanks,

-tom!

Reply to
tom.plunket

Since I am/was a MB dealer technician for 28 years.... I swear by MB power steering fluid.

here: