Pre 1985 Fuel Efficiency (Specifically Diesel engines)

I'm trying to find the most fuel efficient diesel Mercedes-Benz. Unfortunately, fueleconomy.gov only goes back to 1985. The 85 190D seems to have pretty phenomenal mileage. Everything after that sort starts slipping downhill... I'm wondering what the pre-1985 mileage was like. Does anyone know of a resource to find this out?

Thanks.

Reply to
matthew russell

How far back do you need to go? M-B sold a 180D in the late '50s or early '60s.

In the '70s a 240D was sold, then a 300D and in '78 the first 300SD Turbodiesel was sold. The 240D was discontinued in '83 and the 300D Turbodiesel was sold until '86 I believe. Then a couple of years of six cylinder 300D turbos.

The most popular was the 5 cylinder 300D Turbodiesel '78 - '85. 120 HP and 165 ft lbs of torque; mine averages 24 mpg in daily commute driving. While its fuel use is nothing like the 190D you cite, it has reasonable power.

These old engines' fuel used doesn't appear to be good by today's standards but they were very good compared to a 12 mpg 560 gas engine of the late 70s!

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I have a 1979 MB 240d, and I get about 30 mpg, mostly rural hiway, 60 mph.

j.

matthew russell wrote:

Reply to
Say not the Struggle nought Availeth

I have an 81 300TD, getting about 23 all-city, short hop mpg.

Reply to
tweaks

87 190D Turbo. 45+ MPG 87 Euro 5 speed 190D - up to 50 MPG.

Not much else comes close. They only made them this one year (and sellers know it)

Reply to
Richard

Reply to
Joe Caneen