Pre 1985 Fuel Efficiency (Specifically Diesel engines)

I'm trying to find the most fuel efficient diesel Mercedes-Benz. Unfortunately, fueleconomy.gov only goes back to 1985. The 85 190D seems to have pretty phenomenal mileage. Everything after that sort starts
slipping downhill... I'm wondering what the pre-1985 mileage was like. Does anyone know of a resource to find this out?
Thanks.
--
matthew w. russell
http://amphibio.us
matthew russell wrote:

87 190D Turbo. 45+ MPG 87 Euro 5 speed 190D - up to 50 MPG.
Not much else comes close. They only made them this one year (and sellers know it)
My old 84 190d 5 spd got about 44 combined driving, almost as good as the VW TDI and MUCH more comfortable...unfortunately, the New England road salt got the jack ports and rocker panels ... so looking for a good 190 body from down south as a donor ....! Great car.

I have an 81 300TD, getting about 23 all-city, short hop mpg.