preglow relay replacement

I am looking for a replacement for the preglow relay on my 1979 240d.

The catalog from Professional auto parts, listed the preglow relay, silver colored, just as mine is, for the 616.912 engine at $114.

above it, was another one, which stated that it superceded the previous one. This one was black and included 4 glow plugs, pencil type (looked like pencil). For $91.

Obviously, I would like to replace the relay and get 4 glow plugs for a cheaper amount.

Question:

Does my 1979 ( made in 10/78) have the loop type or the pencil type glow plugs?

How can I determine which one I need?

Are they interchangeable?

Can I use this newer preglow relay?

Any advice?

Jerry

Reply to
Say not the Struggle nought Availeth

You may be able to retrofit to a Beru or Bosch extended glow relay that continues the glow after the engine starts to improve combustion and so reduce smoke. Check their websites.

T.G. Lambach