Premium Vs Regular gas in Mercedes

Hello, Quick question about the "unleaded premium fuel" notice on the gauge of most every sedan I have driven...

I wondered since I was driving used cars, if ever the previous owners ran regular vs premium gas and if so what damage could or have they done?

What happens to the engine if a tank of regular is put in by mistake or by an owner who didn't want to pay Premium price at the pump.

Just curious, figured you guys/gals here would know.

Bill :)

Reply to
Bill

marlinspike

Preignition of poor fuel causes excessive heat and also hammers the valve train.

It's probably not a big deal, but if it was chronic and in a hot climate it could definitely contribute to an early demise. Especially if the car was driven very hard...

Marty

PS my 1986 190e likes the premium but does ok on the mid grade as well...

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Reply to
marlinspike