Preowned E class

I am thinking about purchasing either a 96, 97 or 98 E class 320. Can anyone give me thoughts good or bad about these Mercedes.

'96 has the old 24 valve straight six (smooth engine) and old 4 speed automatic '97 has the old 24 valve straight six (smooth engine) and new 5 speed automatic '98 has the new V-6 and new 5 speed automatic.