Price of diesel (US)

Page 2 of 2
On 2004-10-17 11:57:43 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Chet Hayes) said: <snip>

I stand corrected. Thanks Chet.
Marty
On 16 Oct 2004 17:04:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Chet Hayes) wrote:

level of government extortion is less in NJ
On 16 Oct 2004 17:04:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Chet Hayes) wrote:

this week at $1.85 for reg unleaded and $1.95 for diesel. Why, over the past 2-3 months has diesel fuel gone up about 40c/gal while gasoline has stayed at about its normal levels?

a bit of price gouging because heating oil season is upon the northern us
You're not kidding!
I just paid $2.24 here in Detroit!
Which, by the way is even MORE than premium gasoline. . .
- Bill '66 912 '74 240D

Diesel has gone up more because of supply and demand. Home heating season is here and demand for home heating oil, which come from the same refinery stream as diesel, are increasing. At the same time, the high peak gas summer driving season is over, taking some of the pressure off gasoline. It's not unusual to see this happen in a tight market like we're in now.
Makes sense, Chet - thanks for your reply.

(Chet Hayes)

We're running into the same stuff in Canada (Nova Scotia, at least). Diesel went from 81.9 cents per litre to 90.9 a couple of days ago. Last year, I could get it for 63.9. It was about 20% cheaper than regular gas, now it's the same.
Last weekend my brother and I test drove a Smart with the CDI engine. The way fuel proces are going, it's a consideration...
Tim Delaney
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Tim Delaney) wrote in message

In Brazil they have ethanol for half the price of petrol based fuel and the vehicles can run on either. Why is that not done everywhere?
.
     greek snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com "greek_philosophizer" writes:

AFAIK, for two main reasons:
* Brazil produces a lot of sugarcane, from which bio-ethanol can be made by fermentation and distillation. Local shipping then cuts costs.
* Engines burning ethanol differ slightly from those on straight petrol: hotter or something. Brazil got into the game decades ago and is geared up to run its vehicles that way.
The rest of the world _may_ run on bio-ethanol eventually, or on bio-diesel. Engines (again AFAIK) must be altered to handle pure bio-diesel. In *.UK, what sells as "bio-diesel" is usually 95% petrol to suit unadjusted engines. I hear that in *.DE they have gone all the way.
One thing to watch is that different feedstock crops (sugarcane, sugarbeet, rape (for oil) &c are subject to different economics in different climates. Cane is good for Brazil, rape for *.EU.
"They" may eventually produce engines suited to all these fuels, without adjustments. -- Andrew Stephenson
On 2004-11-01 08:04:54 -0800, greek snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (greek_philosophizer) said:

Probably because they deforesting the Amazon and growing government subsidized corn there...
This is not an economic possibility in other climates or other geographic areas.

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:38:58 -0700, Martin Joseph

that could be true, but other reasons are low fuel taxes and proximity to the refineries that keep transport costs low