pricing used mercedes cars

Hi Folks:

Enjoy all the comments. When buying a used mercedes am I better to buy private or from a dealer. Looking for one a few years old, from a dealer but all are priced considerbly over book. Our dealer was asking $47,800 for a 2003 E500 with 51,000 Km purchased by auction in Vancouver. Book for this car is approx 33,000. I am also considering a used CLK (3 or 4 years old). What is a realistic mark-up. I have a cherry 1996 BMW 328ic cab. to market.....am I better to sell privately or trade. What do smart people do?

Thanks a lot Brian

Reply to
nanaimo

Sell privately... and buy from owner or put an add in paper or internet that you will take over their lease and buy car from leasing co at the contract price... which is lower than dealer sticker price. Have lawyer look over it before signing the deal.

Reply to
Tiger

The models you cite are upscale cars (i.e. E500) that, like trophy wives, are costly and sometimes suddenly lose their appeal. So if that's what its to be, know what you want and be ready to act - to bail out some guy who suddenly needs cash. You're not going to be Mr. Nice Guy but rather Mr. Robber, in the seller's opinion. Your attitude should be "so who NEEDS a SLK?" I'm here and have the cash (you need). Take it or leave it.

Dealers are quite flexible, especially when a car has been on their lot for 90+ days. A CPO Warranty is worth something and that ought not to be overlooked. Like BMWs, M-B are costly to have repaired.

So buy privately at a low price if you're a risk taker, if not, pay a dealer for a warrantied car.

Sell your BMW privately if you have the time to do that. Have its maintenance and repair records and a recent CARFAX to attest to its quality and history. Be realistic about its price so you don't waste YOUR time.

I believe dealers make their money trading in used, rather than new cars because there's no MSRP on a used car and the $$ are made on the auction vs. retail spread. A dealer will offer only auction value -- why should a dealer pay more for a trade in?

Hope this helps you.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

A dealer sourced MB, with a warranty will give you piece of mind.

If you want a lower price, find an auto broker who has access to MB dealer auctions. What you want is a lease end vehicle- ie one that was given back to the dealer when the lease expired. In most cases you can get a full service history- including warranty claims- so you know the history of the car. Broker should charge $500-1000 over the auction price depending on what services he offers. Net price will be several $k less than what the dealer will actually sell the car for on the lot (after negotiations) and several $k less than purchasing from a private party. Downside is if you are looking for an 03 or 04 model, it will be out of factory warranty and because you did not go through a dealer, your car will not be eligible for Star Mark or equivalent dealer/MB certification and warranty. In this case, if you want a warranty you will be left with aftermarket choices- where caveat emptor is the prevailing sentiment.

Everything is a trade off.

Best,

Ross

nanaimo wrote: