probably a dumb question

I'm working on the rear brakes on my 280e auto. How do I get to turn the wheel by hand? I've tried neutral but it doesn't seem to go far before running into very solid (gear-like) resistance.
tia
Ants

looks to me a hand brake problem or a disc not exactly round anymore
Both rear end wheel must be in air to rotate.. be very careful when you jack up and use wheel chocks.

jack
why's that? the differential (providing it isnt siezed, which could explain the strong resistance) will allow one wheel to turn independantly of the other, thats the point of a differential.
Somewhat... but obviously you haven't played around with rear end...

Could be what we used to call "limited slip" which doesn't allow this to happen. Kind of nice feature when you have one wheel hanging off the road....
i think he needs to jack the rearend up before trying to spend the wheel.

explain

LOL! That is also possible...