Problem with a 1986 300 SEL Limousine

Hi there everybody,

this 2000 kg beast is a fine car, but it has the problem that every time I drive at speeds between 120 kph and 140 kph the car starts to rattle and shake. The shaking is pretty severe, not only in the steering wheel, but you can also see and hear the hood shake. The steering wheel also tears a little to the right when I let go of it. Can this problem be resolved by having the wheels chekced or might there be a bigger problem (the engine was replaced recently, because our mechanic blew up the old one...)

Looking forward to hearing your answer.

Grtz Marty

Reply to
Tinus

The shaking could be from an unbalanced tire but that's unlikely at the speeds that you mention; a tire's shake usually occurs at about 100 Km

+/- 10 Km.

The high speed and the fact that the original engine was replaced suggests to me that this engine's motor mounts - its supports - are broken or incorrectly secured. The shaking occurs because the engine is lifting off its mounts and this occurs upon hard acceleration and at high speeds when the engine's torque exceeds its weight and so lifts it off its mount. Must be quite some shaking!

If this diagnosis proves to be correct and the fact that your mechanic destroyed the last engine suggests to me that you ought to find another mechanic, before this guy kills you.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach