problems 190d

I am thinking of buying a mb 190d.
What problems and/or pleasant surprises are characteristics of this model.
I saw a 1984 2.2 l on ebay and am interested in it.
Jerry

get it - great car. cheep repair - runs far on a gallon
it must be a 2.0D 4 cyl or 2.5D 5 cyl you are thinking of?
On 2004-12-21 09:16:25 -0800, "Niels Ulrik"

Try reading sometime, it works!

there is no 190d 2.2l to my knowlege so i read and write and away you go...
In the US market, the 4-cylinder 2.2 liter diesel was sold in 84 and 85. Then from 86, it was 2.5 liter, 5-cylinder. There was turbo 2.5 for year 87.
Niels Ulrik wrote:

So Wan-ning;
What are the good and bad qualities of a '82 2.2l diesel 190?
J.
Wan-ning Tan wrote:

Ok. Thats something to do with US pollution immistions I believe.
2.2 not in europe.
I agree - never heard of a 190D 2.2 (in UK).
DAS
Interesting thread, but nobody's answering the query. I have a 1984 190D 2.2 five speed (192,000 miles). I love it. A lot of pluses and minuses will depend on how well it has been maintained.
First the minuses: I have replaced the ac compressor twice and it's the most expensive of the mb compressors, plus an expensive relay. You have to disassemble the entire car to replace a bulb in the dash. The previous owner replaced the water pump at least twice. (I've had it for six years and the water pump is fine) I can't think of any other major issues. Of course, there have been minor things recently (after all it's got 192m miles) Replaced motor and transmission mounts, one wheel bearing, timing chain tensioner shock, belt tensioner, and I'm about to replace blower motor.
Good things: At 192m miles it doesn't use more than a quarter quart of oil between oil changes. I haven't done a compression check, but the oil pressure gauge is always at max except during idle, starts within a millisecond of crank--I'm convinced engine will run another 200m miles without major repair Fifth gear is an overdrive (at 50mph) so highway mileage (with air conditioner off) is about 40mpg. Very comfortable to drive -just the right size (I'm 6'2) I tend to think a big MB would be too big. Paint has held up for 20 years (it's been garauged) and when cleaned up looks like new. It's an 84 but looks like a 93 (the last year for that chassis).
I could go on . . . unfortunately, according to Kelley Blue Book, it doesn't have much resale value. If you can get it for Kelley's estimate - grab it.

Thanks John,
Exactly what I wanted to know.
J.