Problems starting 1980 Mercedes

I have taken the car to several auto technicians and they keep telling me there is nothing wrong with my car.
The problem - sometimes the car will not start, when it does it runs great.
The scenario is I will get in the car, put key in the ignition, wait for the glow plug light to go out and then when I try to start it NOTHING. Does not turn over. Next time - minutes, hours or days later, it starts, then it won't start and stays in this mode sometimes a few days, then it decides to start again. I have it towed in when it doesn't start but then when the technician tries to start it. the darn vehicle starts. I drive it home, it runs fine for a few days then, it won't start again. Sometimes I try for 10- 15 mintues to start it with no luck, other times it might start on the 3rd or 4th try.
My question, does anyone have any ideas that I could tell my technician what to look for or what the problem might be.
Thank you!
Starter... neutral safety switch... or overload relay (common).

Yep. I replaced the solenoid on my old 300sd starter, fixed the same symptom. Those starters as *heavy*.
In a pinch I found hitting the starter with a metal bar would usually get the solenoid to kick in until I replaced it.
Yep... ditto... easy way to check if it is starter... hit it with a hammer.

[snerk] same technique worked very well with VW starters.
--
Cheers,
Kurt

Same with older MGs, I've heard. Since they came with a hammer for the knock-off wheel hubs, that made it convenient.
Geoff
--
"The interesting thing about Santa Cruz is that it provides enduring
evidence that people who are as dumb as a bowl of mice can make a

A long as you can get a clear shot at it ;~)
Long screwdriver and whack it on that would do.