Problems starting 1980 Mercedes

I have taken the car to several auto technicians and they keep telling me there is nothing wrong with my car.

The problem - sometimes the car will not start, when it does it runs great. The scenario is I will get in the car, put key in the ignition, wait for the glow plug light to go out and then when I try to start it NOTHING. Does not turn over. Next time - minutes, hours or days later, it starts, then it won't start and stays in this mode sometimes a few days, then it decides to start again. I have it towed in when it doesn't start but then when the technician tries to start it. the darn vehicle starts. I drive it home, it runs fine for a few days then, it won't start again. Sometimes I try for 10-

15 mintues to start it with no luck, other times it might start on the 3rd or 4th try.

My question, does anyone have any ideas that I could tell my technician what to look for or what the problem might be.

Thank you!

Reply to
David D

Starter... neutral safety switch... or overload relay (common).

Reply to
Tiger

Yep. I replaced the solenoid on my old 300sd starter, fixed the same symptom. Those starters as *heavy*.

In a pinch I found hitting the starter with a metal bar would usually get the solenoid to kick in until I replaced it.

Reply to
me

Yep... ditto... easy way to check if it is starter... hit it with a hammer.

Reply to
Tiger

"Tiger" wrote in news:mYYHg.194$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe09.lga:

[snerk] same technique worked very well with VW starters.
Reply to
Kurt
[bang on the starter with a hammer]

Same with older MGs, I've heard. Since they came with a hammer for the knock-off wheel hubs, that made it convenient.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

It works on all starters... doesn't matter of brand.

Reply to
Tiger

A long as you can get a clear shot at it ;~)

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Long screwdriver and whack it on that would do.

Reply to
Tiger