proud new owner, I think?

That should have been 'my Haynes w124 manual'...

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

You don't need to go to a MB shop to get the fluids checked and the hoses, brakes, tires, etc. inspected etc. There must be a reasonably priced mechanic around that area that could look into these things for you. I would risk it - though I would buy AA! and pack a lunch, toolkit etc. as so many others have pointed out.

Reply to
smoked salmon

FYI K-reg is 1993 (Aug 92 - Aug 93 to be precise). I have a K-reg 190E...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Yes, there is one, BUT, you have to order it from Haynes. It is British, and will run 45 bucks after shipping (I know, cause I got one for my 89 300E).

Reply to
Thom

be forwarned though, there are errors. I did look at a Haynes just recently when removing my rotor.... they had the procedure correct, but in a mixed up order...... would have confused a novice for sure

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz
[high hourly labor rate at M-B dealerships]

Suggestion: Post to the newsgroup sac.general and ask if anyone can recommend a good indepdendent Mercedes shop in Sacramento. Maybe even crosspost to ba.general.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

You could always drive it as is. If it breaks down you have it shipped, but frankly, chanced are probbaly not that bad that you'll make it back ok.

And shipping it halfway across the country will be cheaper that shippig it all the way across the country.

But, I wouldn't give up on finding a good inndy mechanic in the sacromento area yet.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

The layout for my 2.5 engine has two fuel filters and no oil filter. Go figure...

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Oh darn it... Just drive it! Have an adventure... just make sure there is always oil in the engine!

Or if you want to do cheap way... AAA deluxe will drive you 100 miles... drop off at each motel... and call another AAA to tow it for another 100 miles until you get home!

Reply to
Tiger

Tiger's right. Sounds like a great adventure. Check that it's not leaking anything, get an extra fusible link, get the tires balanced/aligned, point the car East, and then drive it like you stole it. Don't have buyer's remorse unless it turns out to be a complete POS when you get there.

My 2 cents (which is overpaying),

Josh

P.S. Make sure to post to this NG the outcome of your purchase and journey.

Reply to
Josh

Again, I agree with Tiger (no surprise). If you're a bit of a DIYer make sure you change the oil, oil filter, both fuel filters, fill er up and hit the road. These cars are rather bullet-proof compared to most other

25-year-old cars and the trip will certainly prove what you've bought by the time you get home. Additionally, you'll be able to make a list of things you want to check out once you get home. Don't worry about the A/C since it's just a matter of isolating the problem and taking care of the problem. Same with the cruise control. A/C systems are much simpler than most people think. The only problem where the 300D is concerned is the control system. That can also be corrected, especially if you have access to a local wrecking yard that takes in those that don't quite measure up or are banged up too much to repair. I have both an '81 240D and an '81 300D and they are probably the easiest cars I've ever worked on and I'm talking about '41 flathead V8's to modern diesels. At $1k you're on easy street and can afford to put a few bucks into what may well be one of the best daily drivers you'll ever own. Good luck.
Reply to
Ernesto

Good point...Kind of what I was thinking too...However

I just got a DAS shipping quote, not door to door, but close enough...for 450.00!! at that price I dont think I can excuse the trip as any sort of cost savings, it would still be fun though.. :)

I can't believe I can ship it for this price...every other quote I got was 1000.00 and up.

Reply to
dieselwannabe

Uh, yeah well, be careful. If you think the company you call is actually the company that ships your car in a covered hauler and treats it with kid glove syou'd be mistaken. Oftentime they subcontract it out to somebody else and there are lots of stories of delayed and damaged cars. It's good to look for recommendations for car shippers - ones people have used and have good luck with. Often these are not the cheapest ones.

Oddly this is one thing Amtrack does well. See if shipping by train is an option for you, it works well in some cases.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Yeah, you can do it, Just relax.

Another triumph of man and machine over time and the elements...

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Well guys. after all this discussion I decided to ship it anyway the

450.00 price from DAS was to good to pass up. And the time involved plus plane ticket and gas taking time off work would have been more expensive by far. I still would have liked to do it anyway just for the sheer adventure of it. But the time/money constraints just aren't working out for now.

Thanks for all the great info guys.. I'll keep you posted when I get the car (hopefully in one piece)

Thanks.

Reply to
dieselwannabe