Puff of steam from grill - E220 Cdi 1999(V)

Every now and then I see some steam (not a lot) come from the grill when stationary. Although it happens after driving for a while, the temperature gauge has always been okay, (around about the half way mark).
Any ideas?
Thanking you in advance
ps-master wrote:

condensate from the aircon dripping (maybe deliberately) onto a hot (exhaust?) surface?
If you stand outside the car you might hear a drop/sizzle
Check the fuel pipes near the high pressure pump for leaks. It sounds silly, but I've seen alot of "steaming" grills that turned out to be a small, low pressure diesel leak.

ps-master wrote:

A suggestion If there are no obvious mechanical faults then it could be moisture from rain, snow or car wash that collects on the radiator and if you are moving along or the fans are operating the steam is not apparent but if you are stopped say in traffic the heat builds up in the radiator before the fans are tripped and turns the settled moisture into steam. This tricked me for awhile and after experimenting with a hose I found that this was the cause. Also my passengers would often become concerned which was the most frustrating. Check for leaks etc first as previously suggested,I would also check if the rubber seal along the bonnet/hood front and rear are intact.
Just had a call from the garage. . .It was a small diesel leak - 250+VAT !
Thanks everyone for your help.