Puzzling door lock behaviour

I'm puzzled, my '89 300E door locks have been acting strange lately. If I unlock the car from the passenger side - only that door opens and none of the other locks even twinge. However, if I unlock the car from either the driver door or trunk, then everything unlocks, 'including' the passenger door..... I'm stumped, anyone have any ideas? Much appreciated!

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Electric switch on the passenger door side is not working... it is electrical trigger to tell vacuum pump to pump or vacuum to open or close the door locks.

Reply to
Tiger

Many thanks for that Tiger!! Wouldn't have thought of that. In a lot of ways I'm still thinking along the lines of my old 240D. You got vacuum from the engine and that was that, no extra pump. So I was thinking either you got vacuum or you don't, so what gives with the doors.... :-) live and learn

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

One click opens the driver door only, two clicks open all four.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Morgan

I just had this problem with my '92 300D only it was the driver's door that had no effect on the other locks. In my case the vacuum pump was the culprit. That it worked at all from the passenger side sounds a bit counterintuitive but replacing it cured the problem.

JD

Reply to
JD

thanks for that Mike, sadly my w124 is old technology still. No key fob.

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

I sure hope that's not going to be necessary, that's be a lot of work....

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Tiger, forgot to ask, this switch then is triggered by the key turning the door lock? Do I need to take off the door panel to get at it?

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

check