Q:alternator, 450 SLC

Hi Gang, The alternator in my '73 450 SLC has developed a high pitched squeal when its first started up (cold). It goes away after a few seconds. Took the alternator apart and the bearings appear to be OK, but I packed them with some grease anyway. One thing I noticed was the copper commutators had deep grooves in them where the brushes ride. This doesn't seem right. Does anyone know if this is the way Bosch alternators are supposed to be?

Other alternators I've had apart are very similar, but the wear occurs in the brushes, not the commutator.

Steve p.s.-after greasing the bearings, I still have the same problem

Reply to
Steve

Nope. That's what thirty years of wear can do for you!

Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

I spent $440 repairing an alternator one. A new one is $175.

No, the commutator shouldn't be scores. Sounds like the brushed wore out and the metal casing scored the commutator and somebody put in new brushes without replacing the commutator.

Get a new alternator. They're pretty cheap. Even for an SLC :-)

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I might be as simple as a slipping drive belt - high initial current flow due to starter dropping battery voltage. Joe

Reply to
Joe Bagnara