Quality Mercedes Benz Parts

I finally purchased the 300SD Turbo Diesel in an early post I made. It was actually a 1981 instead of 1982 as mentioned before. I already had the chance to drive it from the flat lands of South Jersey up to Luzerne County, PA, where the elevation is a lot higher. The car peformed beautifully during the 280 mile round-trip. I am now eager to keep my promise to maintain this car and use it as long as possible. I would like to start stocking up on the filters (oil, fuel, air). Also, the curved hose near the oil filter appears to be worn out and I would like to replace that as well. Is this a coolant hose? Any recommendations where I can get quality parts other than MB delears. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Newbie

Well good for you! Another diesel convert.

There are numerous on line vendors:

for example - all will take your $$$. Performance has a nice illustrated catalog (free) that shows exploded parts diagrams so you begin to understand what all this stuff does!

Like the hose you mentioned. Pray that it's not part of the oil cooler lines.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Thanks for the information. I will check the vendors.

Reply to
Newbie

I bought the official MB service manual on CD and trying to figure out what the name of the hose. I could not find an actual picture of the hose which is about 1-1/2" in diameter and is connected to the engine and is adjacent (not connected) to the oil filter.

Reply to
Newbie

What's its origin? Cylinder head? What's its destination? Is it hot or cool?

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Yay! Congratulations. As Mr. Lambach suggests, go to Performance Parts. The diagrams in the catalog alone are enough to make it worthwhile. I have bought a lot of bits and peieces for the 1981 300SD "Der Klunker" and have had no cause for regret. I also use an excellent repair shop, Ernst Foreign Cars in Flushing, Queens. They will install any parts I bring to them whether from Performamce or any other vendor, including junk yards, but also sell MB parts and aftermarket parts at fair prices. Find yourself such a shop.

Reply to
Gogarty

I apologize for not getting back to you right away as I have to show the car to a mechanic as I really do not know the name of the origin and destination of the hose. The mechanic said it is a heater core to block return coolant hose. I tried to order the part on-line but could not find a picture of it. Do you think I should order this from an MB dealer instead?

Reply to
Newbie

PS. The only radiator hoses that I see under cooling systems from several on-line catalogs are called upper and lower radiator hoses. Their photos are not similar to the part that I was trying to describe earlier.

Reply to
Newbie