Question about Aircondition Function in 2003 E320

I have a 2003 E320 and have had a lot of problems with the air condition and how it functions. The dealer has replaced damper controls and "some" computer this did make a big positive improvement but I still have an issue and the dealer states that it is working normally.

The first issue I have is the "automatic" control. The fan speed never drops below four lights and this makes the temperature of the cabin uncomfortable either too cold or too hot. Per the dealer it is normal that the fan speed never goes below four when in the automatic mode. Yes I can switch to manual mode but then for sure the cabin temperature will not be constant.

When running in the automatic mode if it is warm or hot outside the car I've discovered that I'm forced to turn both the driver and passenger temperature settings to 78 or both my wife and I are complaining that it is too cold. When it is cold outside the car I've discovered that I'm forced to set the temperature controls to 68 or lower otherwise the cabin temperature is too hot. In my opinion this is not normal. I don't have this problem with the temperature controls in my house. For as much as this car cost I expected much better control and response from the dealer.

I'd be interested in hearing from other 2003 owners.

Reply to
Stock Man

I'm not aware of exactly how the 2003 E Class climate control differs from the previous model (W210). In the earlier models I've owned certain conditions can make the system blow excessively cold. However, by pointing the center vents up at the roof mounted intake aspirator (it's by the overhead lights, etc.) the resulting cool air being drawn in will quickly stabilize the system, slow the fan and raise the temps. Same occurs with excessive heat.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

It appears the inside temperature sensor isn't picking up the cabin temperature. My '97 has this sensor in the overhead console and a small fan draws air over the sensor. Perhaps your car is similar but that its fan isn't operating.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I ignore the temperature number, instead just go by what feels good in the auto mode. After cooling the car down my fan drops to the lowest speed for the rest of the drive.

Good luck

Reply to
BS

Jah! Vell you herd Hanz und Franz und dey said dat it ist NORMAL !!!! Zo vhat ist der problem? Ist you a vimp! You cant take der cool air! Vell Ole Jerkin Shrimp knows vhat ist good fer you und it ist properly designed und Hanz und Franz at der MB store haf told you dat ist norml zo quit der complainin und enjoy!!!!! (Und vhile you are enjoying it zo much, make der contribution to der retirement fund for old Jerkin Shrimp!)

mcbrue cooly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
MCBRUE

This exactly describes my own experiences in my W210. Once you get used to the system it works great.

MC

Reply to
Mark Conklin