Question about OM616 (1979 240D)

It seems my motor is not firing on all cylinders. (misses, lopes at all RPMS.) Rattles at higher RPMS. Also, wet test is showing low compression across all cylinders. Can this be fixed with a rebuild? Any good references for parts sources? I apoligize, but this is my first Mercedes. Also, I'm interested in whether a OM617 motor (five-cylinder) will bolt onto my bellhousing. Rather than spending money on my 2.4, I'd be more interested in upgrading to a 5-cylinder 3.0. Thanks!

-Zac

Reply to
chezbut

Can what be fixed? You need a diagnosis first. Check valve timing and adjust valves FIRST, then do a compression test (dry). If uniformly low, did the engine suddenly wear out?

Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to