Question on adjusting valves 85 300SD

I need to do my own valve adjusting on this car, as I cannot afford to pay for a $90 valve adj. job two or three times a year. I have a feeler gauge and tools to take the valve cover off. First, I guess the hot side of a remote starter switch has to go to some hot wire on the ignition switch or starter relay. The wiring diagram I have is an undeciperable German one...what wire do I connect to? Also, where can I order special MB valve adjusting wrenches?

Reply to
Jim Caldwell

WRONG. Pay for it and do it just once a year. The up side of DIY is you save the $90. The down side of leaving an adjuster loose is- you lose your engine.

Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

The wrenches are available on Ebay, as are service manuals. If you have some decent mechanical skills, there's no reason you can't do it yourself.

Valves shouldn't need to be adjusted 3 times a year unless you're doing one hell of a lot of driving.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

I adjust my 300SD's valve with straight wrenches - takes a bit more time but with thin straight wrenches it works OK. Usually only two or three valves actually need to be adjusted so it's not a big deal.

Remember, the cap nut is the adjustment and the lower nut is the lock nut. I turn the engine by putting a ratchet onto the nut of the power steering pump - ratchet ensures correct rotation.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach