Question on fuel cleaner for 300 SD

The fuel level transmitter is messed up, it is fine until reaching

3/4 level, then it starts to become intmt. When it is down to about 1/4, it is mostly inop. It dawned on me that the sludge/crud is at the bottom of the tank, and so the lower down you go on the transmitter, the dirtier it is. So I was wondering if adding a strong fuel cleaner into the diesel fuel might possibly remove enough of the crud on the transmitter to make it work again? There are a dozen different fuel cleaner additives....have no idea which one to use. Most of the time, they don't even tell you if they are for gas or diesel fuel! Maybe they are all just a rip-off? I know I could gain access to the transmitter through the first aid storage compt., but I don't have that special huge socket needed to get it out. Thanks, Jim
Reply to
Geronimo

Biodiesel100 will remove fuel deposits and put them in your fuel filters. Gasoline will kill algae and put it into the fuel filters. Or, the sending unit could just be worn out.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

A small amount of gasoline can be used in older, 617, M-B diesels in a fuel emergency. Use the LOWEST octane and as small a quantity as needed to get to a diesel pump. The engine will run but with less power. In the past some owners used gasoline to dilute their diesel during the winter

- now winterized diesel #1 makes that unnecessary.

Gasoline should NEVER be used in new CDI diesel engines as it will damage their fuel systems - an expensive repair.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach