Question on model descriptor C-280 W?

I just bought a 1997 C-280. Somewhere I found another designation and the reason for it but I can't remember what it was...something like W220, etc.

1997 C-model is W202. You will also find that as the first 3 letters following WDB in the VIN.
Jens wrote:

Thank Jens. If it is in the VIN then there's something wrong with that VIN and maybe? (hope) the CARFAX report: WDB HA2 8E6 VF5 645 56 I just went out to the car to verify. You seem so positive about it something must be fishy in Denmark! ??

At least for the W202, this is not correct.
- schrieb:

As is your answer - because it depends on for which market the car was manufactured.
I for example have a W202 made for Germany and its VIN starts with "WDB202".

Sorry, I forgot that VIN and chassis numbers ar not the same in US. Chassis number is WDB2020281F564556 then, which is W202 model 028. The rest of the information, you can find on the mentioned site.
Jens schrieb:

Yes, I had looked it up and added the two codes which were not on the Russian site.
Put your VIN into this website to see some cool information about your car:
http://old.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng

- wrote:

Thanks Friend,
All I can say at this point is: WOW! That URL gives a ton of information! I'd suggest every MB owner at least bookmark that location!
Joe
Joe schrieb:

The codes missing from that site for your car are: 668 Packing for transport ((vehicles are shipped from Germany to the US by ship)) 916 Additional parts for hot countries ((your car was made for the state of California, USA))
- wrote:

From looking at the report on my car I find that because it has a manually adjustable steering wheel it is a W202!
Joe schrieb:

What? The W202 is not the only MB with a manually adjustable steering column. And for many versions/countries this was an option only.