Question on the oil pressure sender on 85 300SD

When at idle, the oil pressure gauge reads about 2. As soon as you accelerate a little, it pegs out (hard), and stays that way. Looks like it is over-sensitive. Does this car have an electrical sender? Is this likely a
bad sender or bad gauge? (I've never seen an electrical gauge get over-sensitive unless a shunt resistor becomes open). I have to repair the odometer, so I am hoping to fix the oil press gauge at the same time.
At idle it should not read full pressure. I think your gauge is fine. Why is gauge sensitivity bad, anyway?

Normal to have 1.5 to 2.0 BAR at hot idle and 3.0 BAR above idle speed.
Jim,
Do you have an owner's manual? Have you read it? The behavior of your gauge as you describe it is exactally what it should do, if your engine is healthy. When I first drove our first 240D I, too, was surprised that MB would want the oil pressure gauge to work in this way. But they did!
Phil
'84 Euro 300D '85 300D

--
To get random signatures put text files into a folder called Random Signatures
into your Preferences folder.