Questions, 560SEL '89

I just purchased this '89 560SEL and I have a few questions,
1. First of all the car has 138,00 miles. No service records with it. I know service records are VERY important, but the car looks beautiful.
2. The driver's head rest does not go up at all. How do you gain access to it and is it an electric motor? Any suggestions on what to look for?
3. I drove the car up from Tampa, FL to my house on Long Island, NY. Not a hic up from the car. I also learned about the alarm ( the hard way ).
4. NO second key! It's not the one with the "red" dot on it ,but the oval "red" mark. Is this only a dealer only part? What is involved to get a new one?
5. I drove the car at about 90 mph, just to see how it runs up there. I noticed a definite vibration. Wheel alignment?
Thanks in advance.
Bill G.
Congratulations. Nice car. Is that the one I saw on EBay from Miami? Beige/gold color, had the rear footrests stored in the trunk? Those are nice cars, plenty of power and lots of room, especially in the back. They make nice limousines without the showiness of a stretch. Now you can take your mother/mother-in-law to Miami in comfort and safety. Nice car for NYC dropoffs as well -- Lincoln Center looks good from the back seat, but you'll have to hire a driver.
The keys can be ordered from the MB dealer (with your photo I.D.). There are three keys: Master, Valet, Wallet. Master key opens everything; the Valet key fits door and ignition (but not glove compartment or manually locked trunk); the Wallet key is a small, flat key to tuck away in a wallet or purse.
The driver headrest is electrically operated from the driver's door control. What's wrong depends on what you hear when you try to adjust it. If the motor is dead in both directions, it's probably the fuse; if it's dead in only one direction, it's probably the door switch; if it makes noise but doesn't move the headrest, it's probably the nylon gear inside the seat. Those fuses get corroded but still look fine when you check them; it's not a bad idea to replace them all. At least rotate them in the holder to see if it wakes up the headrest. My 300E had a bad seat switch that was fixed by simply pulling out the door control assembly and spraying some electronic contact cleaner spray into the switch. Radio Shack carries that product. Other possibilities (if the motor is running) would be the internal gear and guides that move the headrest up and down; I believe the back of the seat is removed by way of a few small Philips screws at the base of the seatback, down near the hinging area.
AllDataDIY.com has a lot of information for your car, diagrams, troubleshooting guides, OBD codes, everything you'll need. I think it's $24 a year for an online subscription. Nothing like it for quick troubleshooting.
As far as checking your new car, I'd change the oil to Mobil1, change all the all filters, have the tires aligned and rebalanced, for starters. It's not unusual for cars to get neglected toward the end of their time with the previous owner; at least you'll have a new beginning baseline for maintenance as you begin to enjoy your time with it. I'd pick up an MB-approved set of cable chains for the car (they're impossible to find if you need them after an unexpected snowstorm), otherwise you should probably have it gone over for peace of mind and then just enjoy the car.
As a Mercedes-Benz owner, you can also use Roadside Assistance to have a tire changed, have some fuel delivered along the road, or arrange a tow truck (that part isn't free), but the service is available to any MB owner whether under warranty or not, whether the original owner or not. You can also register your name and car with MBUSA for recall bulletins.
Have fun!
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>I just purchased&nbsp; this '89 560SEL and I have a few questions,</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>1. First of all the car has 138,00 miles. No service records with it. I know service records are VERY important, but the car looks beautiful.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>2. The driver's head rest does not go up at all. How do you gain access to it and is it an electric motor? Any suggestions on what to look for?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>3. I drove the car up from Tampa, FL to my house on Long Island, NY. Not a hic up from the car. I also learned about the alarm ( the hard way ).</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>4. NO second key! It's not the one with the "red" dot on it ,but the oval "red" mark. Is this only a dealer only part? What is involved to get a new one?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>5. I drove the car at about 90 mph, just to see how it runs up there. I noticed a definite vibration. Wheel alignment?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>Thanks in advance.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>Bill G.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

Balance.
If it tracks straight when you let go of the wheel the alignment is *probably* ok. Vibration like this is almost certainly causes by improperly balanced tires. Really bad vibration could be a tread separation.
What tires are they?
Have them insoected and balanced *on the car* by somebody that can do a proper job of it, not an off car balance. It does make a big difference.
--
OEM parts - Benz: http://parts.mbz.org BMW: http://buyeuroparts.com