Questions, 560SEL '89

I just purchased this '89 560SEL and I have a few questions,

  1. First of all the car has 138,00 miles. No service records with it. I know service records are VERY important, but the car looks beautiful.

  1. The driver's head rest does not go up at all. How do you gain access to it and is it an electric motor? Any suggestions on what to look for?

  2. I drove the car up from Tampa, FL to my house on Long Island, NY. Not a hic up from the car. I also learned about the alarm ( the hard way ).

  1. NO second key! It's not the one with the "red" dot on it ,but the oval "red" mark. Is this only a dealer only part? What is involved to get a new one?

  2. I drove the car at about 90 mph, just to see how it runs up there. I noticed a definite vibration. Wheel alignment?

Thanks in advance.

Bill G.

Reply to
Wildman

Congratulations. Nice car. Is that the one I saw on EBay from Miami? Beige/gold color, had the rear footrests stored in the trunk? Those are nice cars, plenty of power and lots of room, especially in the back. They make nice limousines without the showiness of a stretch. Now you can take your mother/mother-in-law to Miami in comfort and safety. Nice car for NYC dropoffs as well

Reply to
Newsgroup Reader

Balance.

If it tracks straight when you let go of the wheel the alignment is

*probably* ok. Vibration like this is almost certainly causes by improperly balanced tires. Really bad vibration could be a tread separation.

What tires are they?

Have them insoected and balanced *on the car* by somebody that can do a proper job of it, not an off car balance. It does make a big difference.

Reply to
Richard J. Sexton (At work