R107 Single Timing Belt

Recently the problem? of a single timing belt was discussed and a MB tech foreman wrote that it was never a recall but a Shop Memo. OK, my recently purchased '81 380 SL has a single belt, but my trusted non-MB mechanic said it was in "good" shape. The car has 116,000 miles, runs and sounds fine, but only gets about 10-12mpg even after a tune-up, and I have virtually no history.

Should I be worried? What does a single to double timing belts conversion cost? I will probably need to get the fuel injectors fixed soon as a couple leak. Would combining these jobs save money?

Chip

Reply to
Chip Wood

The "belt" is, in fact, a steel chain. After 116K miles I would urge you to replace the chain, preferably with a dual chain. It's a horror show when, not if, the chain breaks (bent valves, broken cams etc.) Any opinion about the chain is speculation unless the chain's stretch is actually measured - crankshaft angle when the cams are at TDC. Why take a chance after 116K miles? Dual chains on 420 V-8s have been known to break at 120K - 130K miles.

This engine was still of the "detuned" type, designed to meet emissions standards (155 HP from 3.8 Liters). So that's about the mileage you can reasonably expect, but its relatively low compression ratio may allow you to burn regular gas (except in hot weather) without any pinging.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach