r12 to r134A retrofit question

I want to convert the ac in my 1990 300 SEL to r134a. Can anyone tell me where I can find a retrofit kit to do this? Also, any advice or instructions on the procedure would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mike Pillay snipped-for-privacy@msu.edu
Check out this site. Very informative:- http://www.ac4cars.co.uk /
Good luck DD

Try here:- http://www.vacs.co.uk Click on "Installation Prices"
DD

Apologies. I gave you the wrong link (although they will carry out the conversion). The following link will give you some more background info. http://www.ac4cars.co.uk /
DD
Why convert. Just fix your current system and stay with teh R-12. It cools much better. R-12 is coming down in price daily. You will end up spending as much or more to change than to fix your AC. And many conversions just don't hold up. Stay with the R-12.
I've just had my A/C upgraded from R-12 to R-134A. The conversion kit costs around $40 in the US, and to have a decent mechanic do this for you, provided there are no other problems with the A/C, will cost you around $200 (kit price included). While I was told that R-12 cools better than R-134A, I have not noticed a difference in cooling performance. Additionally, the new refrigerant (R-134A) runs at 20% less pressure (or so I was told) than the old refrigerant, therefore making leaks in the future potentially less likely. Furthermore, R-12 is actually being *phased out* completely, and will disappear from the market in a few years (aside from just driving to Mexico or something). So it's actually a good investment if you intend to keep your Benz for a while. Staying with R-12 may be the better option depending on your needs, but I can actually say that I'm quite happy with the conversion in my car and it's been keeping me cool all Summer now (in Southern California, where I use it every day).
Daniel

cools
spending
Pressures are higher with R134, the amount by weight is 20%less.
Paul McKechnie 84500SEL

just
Pressures are higher with R134, the amount by weight is 20%less. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ That's true....your converted system is more likely to leak with R-134. And with the higher pressure you can expect much shorter life on your compressor and related parts. Unless you are replacing your entire AC system conventional wisdom says fix your R-12 system leaks and recharge with R-12 which is coming down in price nicely as there is less and less demand for it since all new cars are R-134 now. R-134 does a great job in factory AC systems...the problems have been in the conversions. Many conversions are not done properly and that's where the trouble starts. For $200 most cars with R-12 systems can be fixed and recharged so why take the chance to convert to R-134 just because it is cheaper to recharge?
Just fix all the leaks, get a new compressor, flush everything, use the new synthetic compressor oils, and stick with R12. Nothing cools or works as well, or ever will. Rebuilt compressors, IMO, suck.
Some cars do well with conversions, others don't. Depends on the compressor. The GM A6 compressor in the 6.9 does not. But supposedly 107 cars do well with 134 conversions.
at 08:05 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (MCAS NV) said:

Fred Emmerich
How about 124 cars? like the 1987 models. Can they be converted to R134 with good results?
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 20:21:43 GMT, fred snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.spamnet wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address
I had our '87 300D converted many years ago including new compressor and new combo hose (which caused failure in first place). It was done by an proessional MB independent. It has been ice cold (I live in high heat/humidity) and trouble free.
Scott D.

Thanks for the reply.
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:42:49 -0400, "Scott D"

remove all "f"'s from address
Uhhh....you used the wrong word....you DOWNGRADED to R-134A...any way you slice it, lower performance.

just