radiator antifreeze

is there anything special about the mercedes brand antifreeze/boil/corosion fluid, can i use localy made products? specificaly in the m100 6.9
Ive heard people on here saying it must be compatible or lubricate something
with the water pump, whats that about?
thanks

It had chemicals in it that buffer the pH. It's so stringly buffered recyclers have a hellluva time tryint to bring the acidity up to normal. This is a patented formula and nobody else is allowed to make ut even though somebody (prestone?) makes this stuff for MB.
Given the outrageous cost of M100 parts I really wouldn't use anything else. It deos lubricate the water pump and will resits corrosion if you use the stuff as directed (change every 2 years).

Actually, Mercedes antifreeze is manufactured by Valvoline. Although, it's sold as Mercedes antifreeze at the Mercedes dealer. I used to buy it at the Mercedes dealer until I discovered that it's also sold as Zerex G05 antifreeze at many auto parts stores. If you read the label on the gallon bottles of Zerex G05, you will see that it's factory installed on all new Mercedes vehicles.
Thanks - that stuff I can buy by the ton at wholesale price.
If its going to destroy my engine, someone speak now - or forever hold your peace.
(Richard Sexton) Writes:

it's
the
antifreeze

I've heard that too but I've never seen anybody come out and actually say with any authority it's the same and for the buck or two more MB wants who cares?
MB technical training has always said it was made by Texaco for MBUSA.....

vcopelan wrote:

and then responds....

It's good enough for me if Valvoline claims that it's factory installed in all model year 2000 Mercedes vehicles and 2001 and beyond DaimlerChrysler vehicles. Do you really think Valvoline would want to make false claims about their antifreeze and then deal with warranty issues after cooling system failures? The price difference between the Mercedes and Zerex antifreeze may be small but at least it saves me from a another trip to the dealer. I've read that the reason to use the "Mercedes" antifreeze is that it's Ph is different than all other brands and it preserves plastic parts. If you're really paranoid, It's a simple matter to check the Ph of Zerex G05 to see if it's the same as the antifreeze from the dealer.
Well, I bought it, its dirt cheap too, I will have to use this in my ford aswell.

it's
the
antifreeze
The rule with a mercedes is, "don't use green antifreeze". You can buy MB stuff or you can use any low phosphate product which is usually orange colored. P.

antifreeze/boil/corosion
something
Never use green antifreeze in a Mercedes radiator, unless you want to replace it prmaturely. Mercedes coolant is made for them in the U.S. for sale in the U.S. you can use any low phosphate coolant specific for aluminum/plastic radiators. The usual color is orange. P.

antifreeze/boil/corosion
something
Whilst a lot of participants here are, indeed, located in the USA, many are not.
Even if US-supplied Mercs have their anti-freeze made in the US, does it mean the formulation is any different to anywhere else?
Not all MacDonalds 'burgers are made in the US, yet they taste the same everywhere...
DAS

OUch...
On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 17:36:51 -0000, "Dori A Schmetterling" wrote:

You've never been to France and had one then obviously ;o) Mike
--
W126 300SE
W115 220/8