radiator expansion tank exploded

I have a 96 e230 and the expansion tank on top of the radiator exploded causing damage to the bonnet of the car. I was stuck in traffic and noticed that the temp was running a high (just below the red ). I was hoping to pull off but it went before I had a chance.

Has anyone had this problem or any idea why the expansion tank would blow in half. I'm more annoyed about the damage to the bonnet as it looks like I will have to get a replacement.

Alan

Reply to
ohh err

Jammed radiator cap could cause cooling system to build up pressure. The cap acts as relieve valve. Did you do any repairs to your cooling system before this incident?

Reply to
saeef

Hmmm, If the other guys radiator cap theory is wrong, then I am afraid you may have some head gasket issue?

Perhaps the head gasket is leaking in such a way the blowby if super heating and pressurizing the coolant?

Sorry for the negative thinking, but it seems like a possibility?

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

thanks Lee .. this is very intresting as I checked the coolant level every week and it was ok.

Reply to
ohh err

Sounds like some sort of super-heated air/vapor bubble being passed through the system. Strange.

My follow-up question would be this ... Has your vehicle had latelya cooling system flush? If so, that could account for the issue.

It migh also be a design flaw. (Sorry 'bout that conclusion) But it's just not something that happens to other vehicles. Does this happen to all C/E or just a certain series? If so, which? Has there been a related recall (whether govt. or voluntary)?

Collin KC8TKA E320/97/now I'm scared. :(

Reply to
Cheesehead

Reply to
jason ashworth