Radio and speakers

Well, I finally decided to replace my stock radio (Becker) and speakers. I went to crutchfield.com and after all my searching I had to call them direct. I didn't call because I read here once the model radio and what speakers would fit my 1989 560 SEL. I was informed that the front speakers would be difficult to replace.

My rear speakers too are shot. Also do I have to worry about the lock on the radio if it is removed?

What else should I be made aware of?

Bill

Reply to
Bill G.

Front speaker is hard to replace. because of addball size. When I had my

380SE, what I did is put a set of 4" component speakers in the front. I put the 4" round speaker in the stock location and cut a sheetmetal to seal the hole right... that allows mounting the the 4" speaker securely. I placed the tweeter on the door, but you can place the tweeter by your 4" speaker if you have room... or otherwise place them on the dash or the windshield pillar with double sided foam tape.

As for the head unit... if you are integrating with the factory amp, it should be fine. Whatever Crutchfield tells you... should be fine.

The rear speaker should be a direct fit 4x6 speaker... If I were you, I'd pick the speaker without the rectangular plate...even if you do use the one with rectangular plate, all you have to do is widen the hole a bit more and cut where the factory grill smaps into so there is no obstruction.

For me, my entire system was wired up with external amplifier that is in the trunk.

Don't worry about the radio... that is super easy. Pull out the ashtray bin, there is two screws to remove... pull out ashtray assembly... you will have to move the gear shift back temporarily...

Once ashtray assembly is out... two metal tab just need to be held down a bit and slide out the radio.

Reply to
Tiger

Your 560 will have powered amps for the rear speakers. They are behind the rear seat back, left and right side.

The front speakers are direct from the radio. The rear amps are powered up by the 2nd wire attached to the blue antenna power feed on the back of the radio and are fed by the line out amplifier on the back of the radio.

Reply to
Karl

You are better off installing subwoofer in trunk or on the deck with free air subwoofer firing through your first aid flap and a good set of speakers for front.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks Tiger. I came to the same conclusion when I priced the speakers and looked at the labor needed to cut the rear deck and mount new speakers. I have a spare amp (from my brother) plus plenty of his old Subs to tinker with for now. I looked at the speakers the other day and they are not factory, and seem to be pretty decent. There's no brand on them, but they have a massive magnet on them. I'll just see how they sound with a new head unit.

Reply to
DougS

I have two subs in the trunk, 4 6x9 speakers on the hat shelf, upgraded speakers in the front and a pair of tweeters in the doors all powered by a 1000W amp.

None of the parts are "great" but they're at least "good".

I had to turn the amp down a bit it kept smoking the speaker wires up front. I should have used bigger wires there.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I always run 12 guage wires in my last three setup... This time I plan to run 14 gauge wires on my current car... should be enough. I still will use

12 gauge on my subwoofer... there is no substitute for wires on subwoofer.
Reply to
Tiger

Do you have a center balance wheel next to the windows switches in the center console? if so.. to replaced that Becker radio you will need a wiring diagram, you have amps behind the rear seats ? ( must bypass those amps) I have a 1990 300SEl...that is what I had to do...

Reply to
AndThenSome

Where would I find the wiring diagram for the speakers? And yes, I do have the wheel next to the window switches. BTW, what stereo and front and back speakers did you put in?

Reply to
Bill G.